British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   H4 visa and being a Non-Exec Director (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/h4-visa-being-non-exec-director-842649/)

sailorman Sep 7th 2014 11:09 pm

H4 visa and being a Non-Exec Director

We'e recently moved to the USA on my wife's H1-B visa and I have an H4.

Can I be a Director of a company in the USA as long as I am not paid?

Many thanks in advance for any info / real-life experience.

crg Sep 7th 2014 11:39 pm

Re: H4 visa and being a Non-Exec Director

Originally Posted by sailorman (Post 11395989)
We'e recently moved to the USA on my wife's H1-B visa and I have an H4.

Many thanks in advance for any info / real-life experience.

No. You can do passive investment only. AFAIK, being the Director of a company involves some sort of contribution of time and effort. That would exceed passive investment. Welcome to the wonderful world of H-4.

ian-mstm Sep 7th 2014 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by sailorman (Post 11395989)

The issue isn't money... it's that you can't work at all. Yes - you can be the director of a company, but you can't do anything at all for the company as a result of that position. You can be passively involved only... but not actively involved.

Ian

Pulaski Sep 8th 2014 12:48 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11396001)
The issue isn't money... it's that you can't work at all. Yes - you can be the director of a company, but you can't do anything at all for the company as a result of that position. You can be passively involved only... but not actively involved.

Ian

But if it involved returning to the UK for board meetings, then he could do that, right?

Of course of our good friend Mr Folinsky shows up I am fairly certain he will mutter something like "a lawyer can't be so dogmatic", "no harm, no foul", and "furthermore deponent sayeth not." :nod:

Noorah101 Sep 8th 2014 1:20 am

My understanding was that the company is in the USA, but now I see the original post is ambiguous.

Rene

Pulaski Sep 8th 2014 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11396060)
My understanding was that the company is in the USA, but now I see the original post is ambiguous. .....

Oh, yes, I see, I think you're right! :o

In that case, on the presumption that a non-US director could attend board meetings on a B1 (meetings are an acceptable use of a B1), I am thinking that someone could be a non-executive director while in the US on an H4.

sailorman Sep 8th 2014 1:45 am

Many thanks to you all for your prompt replies on what we all realise is a complex issue but one also one that one needs to get right!

Based on my professional experience I had wanted to at least build a network of contacts and possibly help guide some US companies as to how to expand to the UK / Europe. This can only help tax revenues!

So the more accurate question is: can I accept any position / relationship with a US company even if I don't get paid?

Noorah101 Sep 8th 2014 1:57 am

No, you cannot. You can't offer to work for free, at a position where someone would normally be paid.

Rene

Pulaski Sep 8th 2014 1:59 am

Originally Posted by sailorman (Post 11396077)
Many thanks to you all for your prompt replies on what we all realise is a complex issue but one also one that one needs to get right!

Based on my professional experience I had wanted to at least build a network of contacts and possibly help guide some US companies as to how to expand to the UK / Europe. This can only help tax revenues!

So the more accurate question is: can I accept any position / relationship with a US company even if I don't get paid?

As advised previously, "work" is generally prohibited if it is the sort of work for which one would usually get paid. If you act as a consultant by visiting the UK or Europe to visit prospective clients, then that would be OK, but if your consulting work is performed in the US then that would likely be a problem.

Given the subtleties of your question and the implications of the answers you would be best served by consulting an experienced immigration attorney.

RICH Sep 8th 2014 2:18 am

Originally Posted by sailorman (Post 11396077)

If you are in a position to do this, then
a) why do it for free, and
b) there is perhaps a different visa you could look into, unrelated to the wife's.(I have no idea-just a thought).

Pulaski Sep 8th 2014 2:44 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11396099)
.... there is perhaps a different visa you could look into, unrelated to the wife's.(I have no idea-just a thought).

E-2 Export consulting business? :unsure:

md95065 Sep 8th 2014 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11396066)
Oh, yes, I see, I think you're right! :o

In that case, on the presumption that a non-US director could attend board meetings on a B1 (meetings are an acceptable use of a B1), I am thinking that someone could be a non-executive director while in the US on an H4.

Consultation with an experienced immigration attorney is definitely in order.

It seems to me that one is actually allowed to do less on an H4 than would be allowed to do if admitted to the U.S. "for business" either under the VWP or with a B visa. Which leaves one with the slightly ridiculous thought of an H4 visa holder having to leave the U.S., return immediately under the VWP, go to their board meeting, leave the U.S. again, and return immediately using their H4 visa ....

sailorman Sep 8th 2014 2:49 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 11396099)
If you are in a position to do this, then
a) why do it for free, and
b) there is perhaps a different visa you could look into, unrelated to the wife's.(I have no idea-just a thought).

Many thanks for the reply - so what would those visa types be?

Pulaski Sep 8th 2014 2:55 am

Originally Posted by sailorman (Post 11396113)
Many thanks for the reply - so what would those visa types be?

Post #11, above.

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11396111)
.... It seems to me that one is actually allowed to do less on an H4 than would be allowed to do if admitted to the U.S. "for business" either under the VWP or with a B visa. Which leaves one with the slightly ridiculous thought of an H4 visa holder having to leave the U.S., return immediately under the VWP, go to their board meeting, leave the U.S. again, and return immediately using their H4 visa ....

I was wondering about that myself. :unsure:

crg Sep 8th 2014 3:19 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11396111)
Consultation with an experienced immigration attorney is definitely in order.

It seems to me that one is actually allowed to do less on an H4 than would be allowed to do if admitted to the U.S. "for business" either under the VWP or with a B visa. Which leaves one with the slightly ridiculous thought of an H4 visa holder having to leave the U.S., return immediately under the VWP, go to their board meeting, leave the U.S. again, and return immediately using their H4 visa ....

An H1B doesn't need to maintain a foreign residence as their place of general abode. A B visitor is required to do just that. So unless that residence is maintained, the H4 who departed would be removable (or refundable under VWP) if they then seek entry as a visitor because they don't fit with that nonimmigrant category.

I do agree that one should not assume that someone on an H4 can do B1 activities. Take honorarium payments for example. A B1 can earn money doing academic speeches. A B1 can do a medical clerkship. A B1 can drive a truckload of merchandise from Canada to the US or guide a tour. But the B is required to make a temporary entry to complete permissible business activities and then return to their home outside the US. I would say that an H4 is much more restrictive.