H4 with a SSN?

Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Elska is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H4 with a SSN?

Probably a really stupid question, but I thought I'd ask as people here seem to know way more information than my company's useless immigation lawyers.

Question relates to my wife. I'm on an H1, she's on an H4. EB-2 GC is in process; though PERM isn't yet completed. So we're a while off.

She would desperately like to work here, but obviously is not allowed to on an H-4.

However, she has a SSN (she previously had a different visa). Hers is a purely freelance design field, generally working with individual clients (so no W9s or anything like that)

Question is whether her SSN does anything for her, and / or if there's any way she can start working as an independent contractor. As far as I can tell the only trace that would be left of her working would be a revenue stream on our tax filing, but of course detectability doesn't equate to legality...

Any help gratefully received...
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H4 with a SSN?

Originally Posted by Elska
but obviously is not allowed to on an H-4.
You answered your own question
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Question is whether her SSN does anything for her, and / or if there's any way she can start working as an independent contractor.
Having a SSN does not help her have work authorization. As an H4, she's not allowed to work, period.

Rene
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a really stupid question, but I thought I'd ask as people here seem to know way more information than my company's useless immigation lawyers.

Question relates to my wife. I'm on an H1, she's on an H4. EB-2 GC is in process; though PERM isn't yet completed. So we're a while off.

She would desperately like to work here, but obviously is not allowed to on an H-4.

However, she has a SSN (she previously had a different visa). Hers is a purely freelance design field, generally working with individual clients (so no W9s or anything like that)

Question is whether her SSN does anything for her, and / or if there's any way she can start working as an independent contractor. As far as I can tell the only trace that would be left of her working would be a revenue stream on our tax filing, but of course detectability doesn't equate to legality...

One solution would be to visit any country where she is allowed to work, do the work there, then spend her vacation time here. Probably not the one you were looking for.....and taxes might be a nightmare.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

She could try to find a sponsor for her own H-1B.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do anything stupid to jeopardize your GC application more so stay within the legality!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I am here on a H4 but I also have a SSN. I got it whilst I was an exchange student in the 1990s in Michigan. The only thing I have done with it is use it on our tax return. I know I can't work here and if I want to do paid employment I need to go back to the UK. I too want to work but we are still trying to sort out our GC situation.
If you are on a H4 in the USA you cannot do any kind of paid work. Not even if it is for a company out of the US and you would be getting paid to a bank account that is out of the US.