H2b visa - my own business

Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

fuzzyhb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H2b visa - my own business

I have an H2b visa, both myself and my husband are British. I don't have an SS number, I have recently started up my own business, my costs are all in USD. 1) am I permitted to run my own business in the US? 2) do I need to register for a tax ID number? can anyone advise? Thanks
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H2b visa - my own business

Originally Posted by fuzzyhb
I have an H2b visa, both myself and my husband are British. I don't have an SS number, I have recently started up my own business, my costs are all in USD. 1) am I permitted to run my own business in the US? 2) do I need to register for a tax ID number? can anyone advise? Thanks
On an H2B visa, your employment is tied to the employer who sponsored your visa. You may not work for another employer while you are physically in the USA, and that includes yourself.

Your husband is on an H4? If so, he may not work in the USA either.

Rene
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
On an H2B visa, your employment is tied to the employer who sponsored your visa. You may not work for another employer while you are physically in the USA, and that includes yourself.

Your husband is on an H4? If so, he may not work in the USA either.

Rene
Sorry, you said "run" your own business. You are allowed to OWN the business, and receive income from the business, but you yourself cannot do any work for the business.

I wasn't sure what your definition of "run" is.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2012, 12:52 am
Just Joined

fuzzyhb is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the advice. husband has H1b visa, and works. so, the business is registered as Ltd in the UK, can the american people who receive an income from my business pay taxes as normal, just list their income from my UK business? and i continue to pay taxes in the uk?
Old Apr 25th 2012, 2:31 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Professional advice from an attorney well versed in business immigration might be in order. The definition of "work" can be fuzzy at times. What you can and cannot do may be quite dependent upon the particular facts -- there is a fine line that has to be walked.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by fuzzyhb
thanks for the advice. husband has H1b visa, and works. so, the business is registered as Ltd in the UK, can the american people who receive an income from my business pay taxes as normal, just list their income from my UK business? and i continue to pay taxes in the uk?
So you and your hubby are both UK citizens, and are both on independent work visas in the USA...he is on an H1B, and you are on an H2B?

You have your own company which is based in the UK. You have US citizen employees working at your company. Your employees would just work as they normally do, and pay taxes as they normally do. Your status has nothing to do with that.

You also pay taxes as you normally do (either filing in the USA if required, or filing in the UK if required). Whether you have to pay any tax, only a tax accountant will be able to tell you.

This paragraph you wrote doesn't mention YOU working for your company at all.

Rene