H1b wife and Green card husband

Old Dec 26th 2005, 11:20 pm
pcn25

Default H1b wife and Green card husband

Hi Everyone

I am in USA on H1B visa status.My question is - can I marry a
person who is in Green card status?........Will I face any problems in
future? In how many years I will get Green card?
Is there any seperate green card process for spouse of Green card
holder?

Old Dec 26th 2005, 11:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1b wife and Green card husband

Originally Posted by pcn25
Hi Everyone

holder?

I thought in order to get an H1b you have to know how to google.

Was I wrong?
Old Dec 27th 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

dandc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
I thought in order to get an H1b you have to know how to google.

Was I wrong?

I never understand why people bother posting responses like this. This is a discussion forum (i.e questions and answers) yet in many cases when a new member posts a question, they a) get a smart-ass answer b) are referred elsewhere c) receive both of the above.

What's the point of a site like BritishExpats if asking a question gets a response like that??
Old Dec 27th 2005, 3:29 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dandc
I never understand why people bother posting responses like this. This is a discussion forum (i.e questions and answers) yet in many cases when a new member posts a question, they a) get a smart-ass answer b) are referred elsewhere c) receive both of the above.

What's the point of a site like BritishExpats if asking a question gets a response like that??

There are intelligent questions along the lines of: "This is my situation (explained) and I have searched the USCIS site and have found (elaborate), but this (etc.) still isn't clear to me - can anyone help?"

And then there are lazy questions along the lines of "This is my situation (insufficient details) and I can't be bothered to do any of my own reserach - can you lot sort it out for me?"
Old Dec 28th 2005, 1:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
There are intelligent questions along the lines of: "This is my situation (explained) and I have searched the USCIS site and have found (elaborate), but this (etc.) still isn't clear to me - can anyone help?"

And then there are lazy questions along the lines of "This is my situation (insufficient details) and I can't be bothered to do any of my own reserach - can you lot sort it out for me?"
Here's the karma quote I tried to give you:
"oh damn, girl, you are getting *sooooo* good!"

I agree with both of you actually. Yes, 'we' want to give answers that are helpful. I just did so the other day and the OP replied 'yeah, I know all that, is there another way?'.
Days like that make me feel less helpful.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 1:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pcn25
Hi Everyone

holder?
pcn:
You can marry anyone you like who is legally available to you.
Will you face problems? Well, most of us married people do. Is there a particular problem you have in mind?

How many years to a Green Card? Factually, you have to calculate first the date you apply from the day you get the card, and you will have your answer.
Realistically, the wait is 4 to 5 years (currently) and if you want to stay in the US during that time, you must maintain your own status, like the H1-B.

The process for the spouse of a PR/Permanent Resident is the same, and different, for the process of the spouse of a USC. When someone has an immigration history, as you do, it is a good idea to meet with a lawyer to find out what small hidden thing may or may not be a problem for you. The lawyer may have some good strategies that are particular to your nationalities, so look for someone with experience with your home country when possible.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:25 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by meauxna
Here's the karma quote I tried to give you:
"oh damn, girl, you are getting *sooooo* good!"

I agree with both of you actually. Yes, 'we' want to give answers that are helpful. I just did so the other day and the OP replied 'yeah, I know all that, is there another way?'.
Days like that make me feel less helpful.

What's all these promises of Karma then? I mean, Mo, you're not one of those girls that promise and don't deliver, are you now...

Hope you had a nice Christmas/Holiday/Whatever!
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 6:41 am
Kevin Keane

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

[email protected] wrote:

> Hi Everyone
    >
    > I am in USA on H1B visa status.My question is - can I marry a
    > person who is in Green card status?

Yes. You can marry anybody you like.

> ........Will I face any problems in future?

If you give up your H-1B, you might find it difficult to get a tourist visa,
student visa or the like, to return to the USA. Other than that, I can't
think of a problem.

> In how many years I will get Green card?

That depends. The current quota wait for spouses of Green Card holders is
around five years. My recommendation is for your spouse to become a US
citizen as soon as possible; at that point, you would immediately become
eligible for a Green Card (immediately means, as soon as the red tape is
processed. Can still take a year or so).

> Is there any seperate green card process for spouse of Green card
    > holder?

I'm not sure what you mean by "process". There indeed is a separate quota,
the Family 2A quota. Other than that, the process is the same as for any
other family-based immigrant.

- --
Please visit my FAQ at http://www.kkeane.com before asking a question here.
It may answer your question. Remember, I am strictly a layperson without
any legal training. I encourage the reader to seek competent legal counsel
rather than relying on usenet newsgroups.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFDuNku2STeoAchQDkRAr9uAJsG4Y6P+dl7vLbPGaOcXZ ddAKnpbQCeIOkw
t6MpHXrPWmtC7yTNTDE2pSg=
=jsvc
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----