H1B Visa

Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: H1B Visa

More McNuggets of info here;

http://thenextweb.com/us/2013/01/25/...ration-reform/
Old Jan 28th 2013, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
That article from last week talks about raising the H1-B cap for STEM. The actual move today mentions green cards.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Ok here is a summary of today's announcement;

http://www.hatch.senate.gov/public/_...0of%202013.pdf

I have no idea if this will pass in it's current form or not. The H-1B quota changes sound like a good idea. Plus H4s being able to work too would have been great for us - but we received our Green Card approvals today!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Or here's the official Fact Sheet from the Whitehouse.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...ne-plays-rules
Old Jan 30th 2013, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

red_onion is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=LinkTen;10511302]Well one of the proposed changes that may be useful to the OP is 'attaching a green card to every advanced degree in STEM'.

Can you please calrify this a bit more? Is it advanced degree obtained in the US or say UK? Specific degree types or all types of advanced degrees?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by red_onion
Can you please calrify this a bit more? Is it advanced degree obtained in the US or say UK? Specific degree types or all types of advanced degrees?
Thanks in advance.
It would be students who study for an advanced degree from selected US universities, so either a Masters or PhD, within a STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths). Undergraduate degree will not suffice.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

rkm_2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy

I managed it by getting my sponsoring company to allow me to work in the UK for 3 months or so, whilst I waited for 1 Oct. This was possible as I have a lot of experience and work in software too, so remote working was possible.

!

@AddyLaddy - I'm currently in talks with a company who have offices located in both LA and London. If I get to the point where they are willing to sponsor an H1B, do you know if it would be ok in the eyes of US Immigration, for me to begin working for them in their London office until the VISA window opens in Oct-13? or would this been seen as abusing the system for some reason? I'm hoping not and that it's something I can suggest if they begin to express concerns about the wait until Oct-13.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rkm_2013
If I get to the point where they are willing to sponsor an H1B, do you know if it would be ok in the eyes of US Immigration, for me to begin working for them in their London office until the VISA window opens in Oct-13?
Not "VISA" - that's a credit card. That said, the visa window opens on April 1 for work starting on October 1. It will not be an issue... you can work for whomever you want prior to applying for or getting an H-1B visa... even if it's the UK branch of a US office.

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

rkm_2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not "VISA" - that's a credit card. That said, the visa window opens on April 1 for work starting on October 1. It will not be an issue... you can work for whomever you want prior to applying for or getting an H-1B visa... even if it's the UK branch of a US office.

Ian

Thanks for the heads up on the 'visa' confusion. I would have looked somewhat ridiculous had I showed my VISA card to the immigration official on October 1st Ok that's great to know that I can put it out there as a suggestion should the timing become an issue during discussions with the new Company.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

@rkm_2013 I would imagine it will be fine with US Immigration. Taxation is another matter, but if you are paid by the UK office then it should be obvious up until the point you transfer over.