Wikiposts

H1B and Texas driving licence

Old May 22nd 2007, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

RalphBynoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B and Texas driving licence

I am in the US on a H1B visa.

Got an SSN and my licence about one year ago.

My wife has an H2 visa, and went to get her licence last week.

She was informed that the requirements changed last October and an H2 visa no longer qualifies the applicant to apply for a licence.

I am unable to find any confirmation of this and was wondering if anyone is aware of this change and where can I find confirmation of this change.

Thank you,

R
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B and Texas driving licence

It's all state specific, so do a google for the state your residing in for the DMV
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a million Bob.

The State DMV website is not very clear but seems to indicate that it is not a problem.

I am not sure who to believe, or how to aproach with the DMV for her to re-apply.

R
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RalphBynoe
Thanks a million Bob.

The State DMV website is not very clear but seems to indicate that it is not a problem.

I am not sure who to believe, or how to aproach with the DMV for her to re-apply.

R
Try going back with all her visa documentation and passport, and ask again. If they still say no, try very politely to speak with a supervisor.

Rene
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a million.

I did initially go with all the Visa information and did speak with a Supervisor who seemed to know what she was talking about.

I need to renew my H1 and have asked for an L1 as the driving is an issue. Cannot confirm this to be true anywhere.

May have to go back and speak with the same Supervisor and ask for written confirmation.

Thanks again and if anyone knows for certain, either way, it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

R
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a similar problem with my wife in Illinois, went to a different centre and had no problem
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

as mentioned, just go to a different office and get a different result
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

I got the following reply from the DVLA in Texas.

''Dear Sir or Madam,

Attached is the link to our website which will provide you with all documents that the State of Texas accepts as proof of identity.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...quirements.htm

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Thank you,
BF''

The clause relating to me is :-

''A Foreign Passport with a visa (valid or expired) and: Form I-94 with status code F1 or F2, an unexpired Form I-20, and evidence of current enrollment in an educational institution located in Texas or sponsorship in a visiting working program:

Form I-94 with status code J-1 or J-2 and an unexpired Form IAP-66 or Form DS-2019 or: Unexpired Form I-94 with a defined expiration date: Form I-94 must have been issued for a period of at least one year and have at least six months validity remaining.''

Can I assume that an H1 does not fit in to this outline?

Thanks again for the clarity here.

RB
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

From the Texas DVLA site :-

A Foreign Passport with a visa (valid or expired) and: Form I-94 with status code F1 or F2, an unexpired Form I-20, and evidence of current enrollment in an educational institution located in Texas or sponsorship in a visiting working program:

Form I-94 with status code J-1 or J-2 and an unexpired Form IAP-66 or Form DS-2019 or: Unexpired Form I-94 with a defined expiration date: Form I-94 must have been issued for a period of at least one year and have at least six months validity remaining.

Not clear on how this affects an H1 visa?

Thanks again,

R
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:23 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RalphBynoe
From the Texas DVLA site :-

A Foreign Passport with a visa (valid or expired) and: <snip> Unexpired Form I-94 with a defined expiration date: Form I-94 must have been issued for a period of at least one year and have at least six months validity remaining.

Not clear on how this affects an H1 visa?

Thanks again,

R
You should have received an I-94 when you entered (white slip stapled to passport). As long as it meets the date criteria mentioned above you should be good to go.