Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1B renewal possible without an attorney?

H1B renewal possible without an attorney?

Old May 19th 2010, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Trigglet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B renewal possible without an attorney?

Hi there,
My husband is a college professor on an H1B which needs renewing - the first three year period expires at the end of July. We have been unable to apply for renewal before now because he was subject to a mid-tenure review process to extend his job. Now we are being quoted $1800 for the attorney who originally applied on his behalf to submit a renewal. We don't have that kind of money, and we're wondering if it's possible/advisable/straightforward to do it ourselves, and if so, is there any more information we need other than what's on the USCIS website?

(I'm on a J1 teaching at the same college, and we have just had a little boy who will be a dual US/UK citizen).

thanks so much!
Old May 19th 2010, 7:27 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B renewal possible without an attorney?

This is a judgement call on your part. Without trying to appear self-serving (or serving the interest of your immigration attorney), I would point out that RECENTLY we immigration attorneys have been getting piled with voluminous, burdensome, and (frankly) unreasonable requests for evidence on H-1 and L-1 cases (including renewals) which in the past would have been approved in a heartbeat.

Employment-based applications appear to be under a level of scrutiny that is attempting to send a message to employers.

-- J