Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1b petition approved.. few questions on what next

H1b petition approved.. few questions on what next

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default H1b petition approved.. few questions on what next

Hi there
We finally received yesterday my husband's H1B petition approval and are trying to get our heads around the next steps..

So our assumption/understanding is:
we need to complete the DS160 and get an appointment at the embassy to get the stamps (Ill have to go with him to get the H4 stamp)
My husband cannot work in the US until visa starts Oct,1

now questions are..
1/Do we need to do a separate DS160 or do we need to do one for my husband (main applicant) and attach mine to it? (I'm a bit nervous to start the work and then have to do it all over again)

2/ How soon after the DS 160 is completed can we get the appointment? and do they give us the final answer there or do we have to wait?

3/How "certain" is it that we will get the visa (or do we have it and just have to do the rest as normal procedure) I'm asking because Ill have to give my notice at work and obviously don't want to do that unless I'm 100% sure we are going

4/ My husband got asked to go to the US for some meetings in August. We are aware that he is not permitted to work until beginning of October, so what is "classified" as work (so are meetings considered doing work??) can I find a list of permitted things to do? (apologies it might be a very silly question)

sorry for all the questions... like I said, we are a bit overwhelmed and don't want to do things the wrong way and have any more delays

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H1b petition approved.. few questions on what next

Gongrats on the Approval. I received mine a couple of weeks ago too.

In answer to your questions.

1. Yes you need to complete a separate DS160 for each of you. You can start the form and save it and go back to it to complete. This can all be done online and I will start it ASAP.

2. You can call and book your appointment(have your credit card ready for payment) before doing the DS160 but you have to make sure the DS160 is completed before your appointment. By the end of your interview you will know whether you have your visa or not and hopefully if all goes well you leave your passports behind for stamping which should take around 5 days and they will renew it to you by courier.

3. I wouldnt recommend resigning until you have passed the interview. It should hopefully be straight forward but no guarantee!

4. Not 100% sure about this one and that is one of the question I will be asking myself when I get to the Embassy in a couple of weeks as my wife and I would also like to visit US again before I start work. You can always book your appointment for after your husband's visit but as there is not much time left and same as us you will have a lot to organise I will go for Appointment first and raise the question at the interview.

BEST OF LUCK!!

Originally Posted by laety
Hi there
We finally received yesterday my husband's H1B petition approval and are trying to get our heads around the next steps..

So our assumption/understanding is:
we need to complete the DS160 and get an appointment at the embassy to get the stamps (Ill have to go with him to get the H4 stamp)
My husband cannot work in the US until visa starts Oct,1

now questions are..
1/Do we need to do a separate DS160 or do we need to do one for my husband (main applicant) and attach mine to it? (I'm a bit nervous to start the work and then have to do it all over again)

2/ How soon after the DS 160 is completed can we get the appointment? and do they give us the final answer there or do we have to wait?

3/How "certain" is it that we will get the visa (or do we have it and just have to do the rest as normal procedure) I'm asking because Ill have to give my notice at work and obviously don't want to do that unless I'm 100% sure we are going

4/ My husband got asked to go to the US for some meetings in August. We are aware that he is not permitted to work until beginning of October, so what is "classified" as work (so are meetings considered doing work??) can I find a list of permitted things to do? (apologies it might be a very silly question)

sorry for all the questions... like I said, we are a bit overwhelmed and don't want to do things the wrong way and have any more delays

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

thank you very much and congratulations to you too!!
its very helpful thanks and least I have now a better understanding...
Ill start the forms today then. Trouble is my husband is going to be quite often in business trips until end of July and then 2nd week of August thats when he needs to go to the US again so I ll have to think of a way to organise this so we can do this in the middle of it all (so he has his passport to go to his other trips)... ahhhh I think we are going to have an "interesting" next few months full of stress
good luck for your interview too.. If you can keep me posted about the "question 4 : what is considered as doing work" that would be great
thanks again!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Thank you and I will keep you posted on question 4 when I return from my interview. My wife and I are going on 14 July and pretty anxious times ahead!!

With regard to Question 4 I dont think a meeting is classified as work as I myself have attended quite a number of meetings under the Visa Waiver Scheme. The thing that I need to clarify when I have my meeting and hopefully if all goes well is whether we are allowed to visit US under the Visa Waiver even after we have had the H1 & H4 stamps in our passport which I think will be important for you too.

Best of luck and as a matter of interest whereabout in US are you relocating?

Originally Posted by laety
thank you very much and congratulations to you too!!
its very helpful thanks and least I have now a better understanding...
Ill start the forms today then. Trouble is my husband is going to be quite often in business trips until end of July and then 2nd week of August thats when he needs to go to the US again so I ll have to think of a way to organise this so we can do this in the middle of it all (so he has his passport to go to his other trips)... ahhhh I think we are going to have an "interesting" next few months full of stress
good luck for your interview too.. If you can keep me posted about the "question 4 : what is considered as doing work" that would be great
thanks again!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

we are going to Newport Beach in sunny California! what about you?
For what I read on previous threads the interview seem to be very "straightforward" theyll only ask a few questions to you I think, so easy for your wife
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Great place!!! We are heading to the same area which luckily we both love and have been spending a lot of time there on holidays and LOVE the area.

We are currently looking at rentals in Irvine which is pretty nice and cheaper than Newport Beach and connected to it. We have two German SHepherd dogs and its harder finding places with two large dogs. However we have lookated a few Condo Complexes that allow large dogs so most likly we will start in one of those.

OC is GREAT area and I am sure you would love it as much we do so fingers crossed and all the best!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrus1341
Great place!!! We are heading to the same area which luckily we both love and have been spending a lot of time there on holidays and LOVE the area.

We are currently looking at rentals in Irvine which is pretty nice and cheaper than Newport Beach and connected to it. We have two German SHepherd dogs and its harder finding places with two large dogs. However we have lookated a few Condo Complexes that allow large dogs so most likly we will start in one of those.

OC is GREAT area and I am sure you would love it as much we do so fingers crossed and all the best!!!
how funny that you are heading same direction!! I only went once when my husband had a interview back in March and that was only for a long week end but yes I did really like the feel of it! We also got recommended Irvine so we are going to check out the area in August but we also got told that Corona del mar is really nice too (but yes for the same price we would only have a flat which we don't mind too much as we don't have children or pets )
I started to have a look at some places on the web but its quite hard as I think its too early. Ill just have to think how we are going to get organised so we can hopefully find a nice place in August and reduce the stress level closer to the date
good luck again and looking forward to hearing back from you re the interview!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Yes quite a coincidence!!

Thanks and will let you know.

Corona Del Mar is very nice(and expensive). While you are there in August check out San Clemente too which is about 20ish miles away and worth checking. While you are there make sure you go to the Fishermans Rest at the Pier for a bite/drink over the Pier!! www.thefishermansrestaurant.com
Also, cheesecake Factory in Fashion Island in Newport Beach www.thecheesecakefactory.com

All the best for now and speak soon!
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the tips, we will definitely try those places!