Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1b or get married/Advance Parole?

H1b or get married/Advance Parole?

Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

gecko123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1b or get married/Advance Parole?

Hi all,

I've been a silent reader on this forum for a while but now have a question that requires your expertise and opinion.

I'm currently in the US in H1b status. I am saying status because I used to be an F1 student and recently did a change of status to the H1b work visa - I don't have an H1b stamp in my passport. My US citizen partner and I plan on getting married in the very near future. I am going to take him to Europe later in the fall to visit friends and family. I know that I need to get an H1b stamp from the embassy so I can come back to the US.
My question is - would it make sense to get married before we leave the US? It takes three months to get the advance parole document, which would be just in time for our booked flights. However, I am wondering if this wouldn't make things more complicated since I have a perfectly fine H1b petition? Would it make more sense to just get the H1b at the embassy and marry when we come back? Or start the adjustment of status process before we even leave the US? My concern is that there could be a delay in issuing my visa (have read horror stories about administrative processing etc.). But then again if there are delays in getting the Advance Parole that would jeopardize the trip as well. What do you guys think is the better solution?
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1b or get married/Advance Parole?

General rule: there is a statutory provision which essentially provides that there is not conflict between having an H-1b status or visa and being the beneficiary of a family based visa petition.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

So if AOS were pending and she was still waiting on the AP, could she travel and reenter on her H1b visa without abandoning the AOS?
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:17 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

An H1B doesn't need an advance parole to reenter and the AOS is not abandoned as long as the person has the proper H1B documents and is otherwise admissible as an H1B such as still employed in the same capacity with the petitioner and has a valid passport/visa etc. They can even have an EAD card as long as they aren't using it.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

The consensus wisdom on the internet is to keep your H1B going until you have the green card.

I disagree with the consensus wisdom, mainly because I went through 5 H1B visa renewals (my past employer only sponsored 1 year petitions) and I can say that I would do anything in my power to avoid the inside of a US consulate.

If the AP/EAD is not ready the OP will have to go to the consulate to get the new H1B but the AOS stays "alive".
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
An H1B doesn't need an advance parole to reenter and the AOS is not abandoned as long as the person has the proper H1B documents and is otherwise admissible as an H1B such as still employed in the same capacity with the petitioner and has a valid passport/visa etc. They can even have an EAD card as long as they aren't using it.
This is true for an H-1b with a visa. OP doesn't have a visa.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 9:14 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
This is true for an H-1b with a visa. OP doesn't have a visa.
I agree and was aware. The OP acknowledged that he needed a new visa foil to reenter in his first post so I glossed over it with "as long as the person has the proper H1B documents". Either way, it's good to make sure it is clear to everyone that an H1B visa foil is required if the person opts to travel without the AP when the AOS is pending. So thanks for the emphasis.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

gecko123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, this has been helpful.

Originally Posted by jxv73
The consensus wisdom on the internet is to keep your H1B going until you have the green card.

I disagree with the consensus wisdom, mainly because I went through 5 H1B visa renewals (my past employer only sponsored 1 year petitions) and I can say that I would do anything in my power to avoid the inside of a US consulate.

If the AP/EAD is not ready the OP will have to go to the consulate to get the new H1B but the AOS stays "alive".
Is the consensus wisdom to keep the H1b going because it would work like a safety net in case the AOS fails (for whatever reasons...)? Can you explain why you would do anything to avoid the inside of a US consulate? It looks like H1b gets a lot of scrutiny and while I understand that there's always a risk when traveling, I'm a little worried that I get stuck abroad because the consulate takes a long time to issue the visa.
Hypothetical scenario: if AP gets approved while we're abroad, can I have someone mail it to me and I return with it to the US?
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gecko123

Is the consensus wisdom to keep the H1b going because it would work like a safety net in case the AOS fails (for whatever reasons...)? Can you explain why you would do anything to avoid the inside of a US consulate? It looks like H1b gets a lot of scrutiny and while I understand that there's always a risk when traveling, I'm a little worried that I get stuck abroad because the consulate takes a long time to issue the visa.
Hypothetical scenario: if AP gets approved while we're abroad, can I have someone mail it to me and I return with it to the US?
ONLY if the validity date on the AP begins prior to the date you left the USA. If it's after, you cannot return using AP.

Rene
Old Aug 1st 2014, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gecko123

Is the consensus wisdom to keep the H1b going because it would work like a safety net in case the AOS fails (for whatever reasons...)?
Yes

Can you explain why you would do anything to avoid the inside of a US consulate? It looks like H1b gets a lot of scrutiny and while I understand that there's always a risk when traveling, I'm a little worried that I get stuck abroad because the consulate takes a long time to issue the visa.
I'd spend a good 6-8 hours inside the consulate just waiting for the interview and the visa always seemed to take longer.

No
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:32 am
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by augigi
So if AOS were pending and she was still waiting on the AP, could she travel and reenter on her H1b visa without abandoning the AOS?
I received some karma from augigi with this comment:

"Awesome, thank you! I am in valid E3 status and waiting on AOS, EAD and AP.. not sure I'll have it before I need to travel but that is great if I can reenter on my E3."

Please be aware that an H1B and L1 (and dependents) can often travel without a parole letter while under AOS.

An E3 cannot do the same. The AOS may be considered abandoned and reentry could be barred without the parole letter. Some H/L enjoy the benefit of dual intent. An E3 does not.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Please be aware that an H1B and L1 (and dependents) can often travel without a parole letter while under AOS.

An E3 cannot do the same. The AOS may be considered abandoned and reentry could be barred without the parole letter. Some H/L enjoy the benefit of dual intent. An E3 does not.
Hmmm.. important difference. The E3 is not "NOT" dual intent right? Where is this information you have given about abandoning the AOS sourced from please? Thanks.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm.. important difference. The E3 is not "NOT" dual intent right? Where is this information you have given about abandoning the AOS sourced from please? Thanks.
It's more that those categories are exceptions, as listed in 1.A on p.10 of the I-485 instructions:

Originally Posted by i-485instr.pdf
Effect of departure from the United States while your application is pending

1. Applying for adjustment of status under section 245 of the Act
If you apply for adjustment of status under section 245 of the Act, traveling anywhere outside the United States (including brief visits to Canada or Mexico) will lead to the denial of your Form I-485 as abandoned unless:

A. You are an H, L, V or K3/K4 nonimmigrant who is maintaining lawful nonimmigrant status and you return with a valid H, L, V or K3/K4 nonimmigrant visa; OR

B. You obtain, before you leave the United States, a grant of advance parole by filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, as specified in the Form I-131 instructions, and you are paroled into the United States when you return.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

8 CFR 245.2 (a)(4)

H-1, L-1, H-4 (when a dependent of an H-1), L-2, K-3, K-4; V; Cuban Adjustment (---this last one came as a surprise)

Last edited by jxv73; Aug 5th 2014 at 3:01 am.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

^ Let me guess: you also read that 7,000 times before leaving on an H-1B while your AOS was in process

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.