H1b extension

Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

nl100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1b extension

Within the 6 years of an individual's stay in the USA how many times a H1B petition can be extended? H1B is issued from October month, and if an individual moves to the US in following July, he would lose 9 months of initial 3 years of validity of the H1B. He may wish to extend it by another 3 years, and continue to stay upto 5 years and 3 months totally, and H1 petition would expire then.
Can he extend the same petition again for 9 months, to complete permitted 6 years in the US?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1b extension

Originally Posted by nl100
H1B is issued from October month, and if an individual moves to the US in following July, he would lose 9 months of initial 3 years of validity of the H1B.
If you waste 9 months of H-1B validity before you even move... that's really your own doing... and I don't believe you are allowed to make it up at the end. If you get an H-1B visa valid in October... you move ASAP.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2008, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

The six year limit is on H1-B status. You are only considered to be in H1-B status when you are physically in the United States after being admitted on the basis of your H1-B visa (and of course complying with the terms of the H-1 visa). Therefore, in your case I believe you would be able to ask for an additional 9 months at the end of the second 3 year renewal period. I have done something similar myself although for a lesser period (something like four months in my case). Note that there is a time limit on how long you have from the date the visa is valid from until you enter the US, I think it is 12 months but you would need to check.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newXgate
The six year limit is on H1-B status. You are only considered to be in H1-B status when you are physically in the United States after being admitted on the basis of your H1-B visa (and of course complying with the terms of the H-1 visa).
Excellent. I appreciate your being able to clarify this! I learn something new all the time!

Ian