H1B - Chances slim?

Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

stholm is an unknown quantity at this point
Post H1B - Chances slim?

Hello,

I currently work as a teacher in the UK. I have been thinking about relocating to the USA for several years. I would like to live in the north east areas, as I am a fan of new york (but am aware I could never live there). I am particularly interested in the new england region of the USA. I am aware that this too, is a diverse area and I am planning to spend the next year plus, looking at the area, property and jobs and living.

I've read the information available and the most appropriate visa in my situation is the H1B (I think, unless I win the lottery!).

Looking over several sites, my understanding that my chances of gaining emplyment and permanent residence with only a bachelors degree in teaching are slim to none.

I don't think I am eligible under any other visa, but I am looking for a second opinion??

Any thoughts or ideas anybody?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B - Chances slim?

The number of qualified and experienced unemployed teachers who are US citizens is huge. Oregon is about to lay off even more in the current budget crisis. Therefore is any school district going to employ someone from overseas when there is a huge pool of labor available already here.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stholm
I've read the information available and the most appropriate visa in my situation is the H1B (I think, unless I win the lottery!).
I agree. However, in the current economy, you are unlikely to find a school board willing to spend $Ks to sponsor you when there are already a plethora of unemployed teachers ready to work... teachers who don't require sponsorship! Don't let any of this dissuade you... just realize that you are facing a huge uphill climb just now.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the honesty. I was aware that I was up against it in the current climate, but I value your honesty and am glad I got a second opinion.

On a more optimistic note...do you think the situation will ever change as the economy picks up again?
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the honesty. I was aware that I was up against it in the current climate, but I value your honesty and am glad I got a second opinion.

On a more optimistic note...do you think the situation will ever change as the economy picks up again?
Realistically, not unless you have something very special to offer. It's not a case of the economy picking up, education funding isn't really based on that. If schools start to get more funding there will be a huge amount of qualified and licensed teachers ranging from no experience to a ton of experience all ready to work immediately with no sponsorship or time costs.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Ok, fair enough. I suppose it is very similar here in the United Kingdom.
I am hoping to study for my masters later this year but I am imagining that this will have little impact when there is such a huge surplus of teachers that are already US Citizens.

Shame...but at least I know.

Thanks for your assistance though. I will keep looking and keep my fingers crossed.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, fair enough. I suppose it is very similar here in the United Kingdom.
I am hoping to study for my masters later this year but I am imagining that this will have little impact when there is such a huge surplus of teachers that are already US Citizens.

Shame...but at least I know.

Thanks for your assistance though. I will keep looking and keep my fingers crossed.
Some states require a masters degree in order to teach, some require that you get one within a certain timeframe after getting licensed, some don't care. You would need to check the state you want to go to but having one may not make the impact you hope. If it is required, you would have to get it evaluated to make sure it would count.

I know a ton of licensed teachers and a lot have given up on ever getting a teaching job again. One got a library degree and worked in a school library until her position was eliminate at the end of this school year, one owns a restaurant, several work in IT, one co-owns a landscaping company, and so on.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Thats a shame!

I can see and understand that a foreigner would stand little or no chance at all with those factors.

I will look into where doesn't need a masters degree and maybe I might stand a small chance, but I do accept that its not too likely.

Ah well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a big lottery win then!

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Some states require a masters degree in order to teach, some require that you get one within a certain timeframe after getting licensed, some don't care. You would need to check the state you want to go to but having one may not make the impact you hope. If it is required, you would have to get it evaluated to make sure it would count.
Master's degree plus a NYS license in New York. Short term substitute teachers have been hired, but as everyone has said there are teachers dime-a-dozen.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 1:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am hoping to study for my masters later this year...
I don't know how you're set financially, but have you considered studying for your Masters degree in the US on an F-1 visa? It opens up other avenues for you... well, if you can afford it.

Ian
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Ian - I looked at the F-1 visa, and whilst I would like to save plenty of money to emigrate, I couldn't save enough to support myself fully financially whilst studying

Anuny - Thanks for the info.

I guess it's back to the drawing board

Thanks for the help though.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Ian - I looked at the F-1 visa, and whilst I would like to save plenty of money to emigrate, I couldn't save enough to support myself fully financially whilst studying
If you must, then Teacher's College in NYC is very highly rated and respected internationally in the field of Education. Have you tried teaching at International Schools in the Far East; save money and then plan you next course of action ?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:40 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Anuny - Thanks for the info.

I guess it's back to the drawing board

Thanks for the help though.
Are you aware of the Graduate (Teaching or Research) Assistantship? This is where you teach general education classes to undergraduates, in return for free tuition and a monthly stipend. This can reduce your costs considerably. If you have a teaching background already, you would be in a much stronger position to get a teaching assistantship.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
Are you aware of the Graduate (Teaching or Research) Assistantship? This is where you teach general education classes to undergraduates, in return for free tuition and a monthly stipend. This can reduce your costs considerably. If you have a teaching background already, you would be in a much stronger position to get a teaching assistantship.
TAs and RAs are few and far between in a typical Teacher's College. In today's economic climate the Higher-Education budgets are being slashed, private colleges are scaling back. Financial Aid is a challenge because many of the laid-off workers are returning back to school for Graduate work (if having an Under Grad) or going to Community Colleges for re-training.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 1:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
TAs and RAs are few and far between in a typical Teacher's College. In today's economic climate the Higher-Education budgets are being slashed, private colleges are scaling back. Financial Aid is a challenge because many of the laid-off workers are returning back to school for Graduate work (if having an Under Grad) or going to Community Colleges for re-training.
I think I'm pretty well-up on other types of institutions (state universities, etc.), and from what I hear from colleagues, TA's have not been reduced by much. Institutions save a lot more by not replacing faculty than by reducing the number of TA's.

It also depends a lot on the department ... I don't think the OP is restricted to teaching-related masters degrees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.