Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1B Approved waiting to receive I797 and appointment @ US Embassy London

H1B Approved waiting to receive I797 and appointment @ US Embassy London

Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

cyrus1341 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1B Approved waiting to receive I797 and appointment @ US Embassy London

Good afternoon

My H1B Pettition was Approved a few days ago and now waiting to receive the Approval Notice I 797 and my appointment at the US Embassy.

As this is my first H1B I would be grateful for any guidance from people who have been through this process.

How long do the interview at the Embassy usually take?
How can I make sure I am as ready as possible for the interview?
How long does it usually take to receive the approval notice?
What sort of questions they usually ask?
Any guidance/hints would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1B Approved waiting to receive I797 and appointment @ US Embassy London

Originally Posted by cyrus1341
Good afternoon

My H1B Pettition was Approved a few days ago and now waiting to receive the Approval Notice I 797 and my appointment at the US Embassy.

As this is my first H1B I would be grateful for any guidance from people who have been through this process.

How long do the interview at the Embassy usually take?
How can I make sure I am as ready as possible for the interview?
How long does it usually take to receive the approval notice?
What sort of questions they usually ask?
Any guidance/hints would be greatly appreciated!!
Oh gosh, I'll try and remember and help you out. I don't recall the approval notice taking very long. We phoned and made our appointment for the Embassy and didn't have long to wait for one either.

As for the actual interview, both myself and my OH were very nervous and didn't really know what to expect. All in all it was pretty uneventful. From arriving to leaving, I think we were only there around 1hr 30mins. He got asked 2 questions and that was it, no hassle, nothing really to have got worked up about. As for the questions that they ask, my OH got asked 2 questions about the work and company he was going to work for. That was it. As for preparation, just answer the questions honestly and you'll not have any problem. Good luck, I'm sure it'll all be fine.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: H1B Approved waiting to receive I797 and appointment @ US Embassy London

Many thanks for the message and fingers crossed!!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

I have my interview on July 26th. Have you completed your DS-160? Basically you just phone the Embassy, it's a premium rate number, and book your interview. I got a choice of dates. I've been told it's best to go for an early appointment, less waiting that way. Don't forget to read the section on the embassy site about what you need to take and just as importantly what you MUSTN'T take!

Good luck.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RayM
I have my interview on July 26th. Have you completed your DS-160? Basically you just phone the Embassy, it's a premium rate number, and book your interview. I got a choice of dates. I've been told it's best to go for an early appointment, less waiting that way. Don't forget to read the section on the embassy site about what you need to take and just as importantly what you MUSTN'T take!

Good luck.
Thanks for the note and advice which is greatly appreciated!!

Is yours H1B too?? I was only informed about the approval by my Attorney a few days ago and he is meant to do the forms and make the appointment etc but I guess he may be waiting to receive the I 797 before making the appointment. Was 26th the earliest date they had or it was your choice.

BEST OF LUCK with your appointment on 26th and thanks again!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

RayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud ofRayM has much to be proud of

Yes, mine is an H1b. I could have got an earlier interview than the 26th but I'm travelling to the US on July 12th on VWP. Doesn't seem any rush as the H1b won't allow a start before October 1st.
I don't think your attorney can book the appointment. I think you have to do it. You also have to do the DS-160 yourself.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RayM
Yes, mine is an H1b. I could have got an earlier interview than the 26th but I'm travelling to the US on July 12th on VWP. Doesn't seem any rush as the H1b won't allow a start before October 1st.
I don't think your attorney can book the appointment. I think you have to do it. You also have to do the DS-160 yourself.
Have a nice time in US and again the very best of luck.

I guess my Attorney will let me know what I need to do when he gets the Approval. I know what you mean about no rush as we cant start till 1 October however for me I need to sort out quite a few things before then and it will be good to get the Visa sorted before I start doing anything!

All the best for now!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrus1341
I guess my Attorney will let me know...
You keep referring to "my attorney". Did you actually hire him, or is he the company's attorney? This is important, because you must never forget that the attorney works for the company... not for you - therefore, you must educate yourself as to what the next steps are and what you need to do. Do not rely on the attorney!

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2011, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You keep referring to "my attorney". Did you actually hire him, or is he the company's attorney? This is important, because you must never forget that the attorney works for the company... not for you - therefore, you must educate yourself as to what the next steps are and what you need to do. Do not rely on the attorney!

Ian
Thanks Ian

I appreciate what you are saying however I have been told by the Attorney to wait for his instructions once he has received the Approval and yes it is the Company Attorney.

Thanks again and all the best!