H1 transfer and green card

Old Apr 25th 2002, 12:00 am
Shitij

Default H1 transfer and green card

Hi , I have changed my job and applied for H1 transfer.I need to apply for green card
through my new employer.

As the transfer process can take long (upto 2 months), can i apply for green card on
the basis of my H1 transfer Reciept number.

Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 25th 2002, 3:30 pm
Shitij

Default Re: H1 transfer and green card

Hi , I have changed my job and applied for H1 transfer.I need to apply for green card
through my new employer.

As the transfer process can take long (upto 2 months), can i apply for green card on
the basis of my H1 transfer Reciept number.

Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 25th 2002, 8:00 pm
Lisa

[email protected] (shitij) wrote in message
news:<[email protected] om>...
    > Hi , I have changed my job and applied for H1 transfer.I need to apply for green
    > card through my new employer.
    >
    > As the transfer process can take long (upto 2 months), can i apply for green card
    > on the basis of my H1 transfer Reciept number.
    >
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

Absolutely. While your H1-B is being transfered you can also apply for a green card.
I would advise you to hire an immigration attorney which will cost a bit, as I've
been quoted from $3500 to $8000 to go through the process of applying for green card
through employment!!!! Speaking to an immigration attorney is good, as the good
attorneys will call you back and talk to you personally and tell you the proccess,
information and the COST, as after all they want you to retain their services!!! It
is worth the money, as the paper work is incredible! It takes 2-3yrs to get a green
card through employment, the earlier you start the better, especially when you have
the remaining time limit of 3yrs on your H1-B. If you apply and your H1-B expires due
to the time frame, you would need to leave the country and wait till your green card
is approved.

Best of luck

Old Apr 26th 2002, 7:00 am
Inon

On 25 Apr 2002 07:40:41 -0700, [email protected] (shitij) wrote:

>Hi , I have changed my job and applied for H1 transfer.I need to apply for green
    >card through my new employer.
    >
    >As the transfer process can take long (upto 2 months), can i apply for green card on
    >the basis of my H1 transfer Reciept number.
    >
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

If the company agrees for you to have your own attorney, go ahead and hire a
competitive immigration attorney. Remember, his/her (attorney) loyalty will be for
you. So, in case something happens to your job, then your attorney can always suggest
what is the right thing to do to protect your status and stay in USA. This way you
have better chances of getting your green-card.

On the contrary, if the lawyer is thru the company, then he is providing services to
the company in sponsoring an employee. So, you may not get advise in critical
situations.

Good luck.