H1/H4

Old Jul 5th 2001, 1:38 am
Ivan Mitrovic

My wife and I were on L2/L1 visas respectively. We changed status to H4/H1 a few
months ago. However we still don't have our visas stamped in the passport. In the
meantime our L2/L1 visas expired. My wife plans to travel outside of US and she has
to get her H4 visa stamped in the passport to be able to return to US. Does anyone
know if we both need to be present in US consulate at the same time and get our visa
stamped or we can do that separately? I don't plan to travel at this time so she'll
have to go to get her H4 visa from US consulate alone. Are there any difficulties
with this procedure considering the fact that she has to go alone?

Thanks Ivan

Old Jul 19th 2001, 1:56 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Ivan Mitrovic wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Some consular posts insist on seeing an H-1B visa stamp in the principal alien's
passport before they will issue an H-4. I'm thinking of some posts in India.

I don't plan to
    >
    >
    >

At some consular posts, she won't have any trouble. I'm not sure how you will find
out. You can try to call the post; ask for the nonimmigrant visa section, and ask
whether there is a practice of requiring that the principal alien have an H-1B visa
before the dependent can get an H-4. Perhaps you could consult with a good
immigration attorney with consular experience.

Old Jul 19th 2001, 4:41 am
Ivan Mitrovic

I'll try to call the consulate, though the most of them don't want to answer the
questions about non immigrant visa...

Thanks.

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> > My wife and I were on L2/L1 visas respectively. We changed status to[/usenetquote2]
H4/H1 a
[usenetquote2]> > few months ago. However we still don't have our visas stamped in the passport. In[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > the meantime our L2/L1 visas expired. My wife plans to[/usenetquote2]
travel
[usenetquote2]> > outside of US and she has to get her H4 visa stamped in the passport to[/usenetquote2]
be
[usenetquote2]> > able to return to US. Does anyone know if we both need to be present in US[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > consulate at the[/usenetquote2]
same
[usenetquote2]> > time and get our visa stamped or we can do that separately?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > travel at this time so she'll have to go to get her H4 visa from US consulate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > alone. Are there any difficulties with this procedure[/usenetquote2]
considering
[usenetquote2]> > the fact that she has to go alone?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >