Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1 B2, C3 -I see forms before my eyes !

H1 B2, C3 -I see forms before my eyes !

Old Feb 21st 2001, 8:01 am
Zaphod Dinglebrot

Hi All,

I did post a message sometime back, and received a good response (thanks too all
participants).

My wife and I are currently faced with a small quandary with regards locating to the
states. I believe the quickest way to legally move would be too get the H1B1 Employer
Sponsorship.

My wife who is an american citizen has lived in the UK for more than 3 years as a
housewife cannot demonstrate the required salary to the US government in order to
sponsor me.

I realise that H1 status takes 2-4 months (in a good wind) to complete, but I have also
heard of an ammendment that happend October 2000 to the H1 bill that states that I may be
able to work legally in the states while the paperwork is being completed (by the
relevant bodies).

I have (I beleive) the technical merit and academic qualifications to meet the
requirements for H1, but my wife and I are currently lost in the ether of what we actually
can and cannot do. Primarily we would like to move to the US before fall this year.

We have tried calling the US Embassy over here but at a cost of £2.00 ($2.50 (approx)) a
minute to someone regarding this matter - we dont stay on the phone a long time !

TIA
--

Are you sure you want to go to Red Alert sir ? That would involve changing the
lightbulb.............

Old Feb 21st 2001, 10:46 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Zaphod Dinglebrot wrote:

> I did post a message sometime back, and received a good response (thanks too all
> participants).
>
> My wife and I are currently faced with a small quandary with regards locating to the
> states. I believe the quickest way to legally move would be too get the H1B1 Employer
> Sponsorship.
>
> My wife who is an american citizen has lived in the UK for more than 3 years as a
> housewife cannot demonstrate the required salary to the US government in order to
> sponsor me.
>
> I realise that H1 status takes 2-4 months (in a good wind) to complete, but I have also
> heard of an ammendment that happend October 2000 to the H1 bill that states that I may
> be able to work legally in the states while the paperwork is being completed (by the
> relevant bodies).

This new law does not apply to you, most probably. To be eligible, you must (1) be in the
U.S. and (2) have previously held H-1B status or an H-1B visa.

You will have to wait until the H-1B petition has been approved before you can get an H-1B
visa and enter the U.S. in H-1B status. If you get to work on that job offer, you can
manage this by the fall.

> I have (I beleive) the technical merit and academic qualifications to meet the
> requirements for H1, but my wife and I are currently lost in the ether of what we
> actually can and cannot do. Primarily we would like to move to the US before fall
> this year.
>
> We have tried calling the US Embassy over here but at a cost of £2.00 ($2.50 (approx)) a
> minute to someone regarding this matter - we dont stay on the phone a long time !

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 7:54 am
Zaphod Dinglebrot

Thanks for the information. But the one question I still have is howcome it is so easy for
most people to obtain the correct documentation in order to live and work in the states -
poeple who dont have the entry requirements, do not have an american spouse etc., but
still go sailing through (I dont mean to sound snobbish).

Maybe I should just win a small lottery over here in England and get myself and wife to
the states on a 3 month holiday (she, obviously has no 3 month limitation) - and get H1
then ??? maybe there is hope for me !

--

Are you sure you want to go to Red Alert sir ? That would involve changing the
lightbulb.............

> Zaphod Dinglebrot wrote:
>
> > I did post a message sometime back, and received a good response (thanks
too
> > all participants).
> >
> > My wife and I are currently faced with a small quandary with regards locating to the
> > states. I believe the quickest way to legally move
would be
> > too get the H1B1 Employer Sponsorship.
> >
> > My wife who is an american citizen has lived in the UK for more than 3
years
> > as a housewife cannot demonstrate the required salary to the US
government
> > in order to sponsor me.
> >
> > I realise that H1 status takes 2-4 months (in a good wind) to complete,
but
> > I have also heard of an ammendment that happend October 2000 to the H1
bill
> > that states that I may be able to work legally in the states while the paperwork is
> > being completed (by the relevant bodies).
>
> This new law does not apply to you, most probably. To be eligible, you must (1) be in
> the U.S. and (2) have previously held H-1B status or an H-1B visa.
>
> You will have to wait until the H-1B petition has been approved before you can get an
> H-1B visa and enter the U.S. in H-1B status. If you get to work on that job offer, you
> can manage this by the fall.
>
> > I have (I beleive) the technical merit and academic qualifications to
meet
> > the requirements for H1, but my wife and I are currently lost in the
ether
> > of what we actually can and cannot do. Primarily we would like to move
to
> > the US before fall this year.
> >
> > We have tried calling the US Embassy over here but at a cost of £2.00
($2.50