Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1-B , Now married to USC, unemployment benefits?

H1-B , Now married to USC, unemployment benefits?

Old Apr 19th 2006, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

DownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really nice
Default H1-B , Now married to USC, unemployment benefits?

Hi Friends,
I have a few questions, I would appreciate for any comments.
I was on H1-B and it expires on Oct 2007 but I quit my job ( they wanted me to travel and I was unable to travel since my wife is pregnant. They let me go). Now I did get married to my wife who is a USC in Feb 2006 and I'm in the process of applying for my GC, I have all the paper work ready and I will mail it in the next couple of days. My wife is not working, I'm using my friend as a joint sponsor.
I'm looking for jobs but not seriously, I would like to spend time with my pregnant wife, she is due in september and hopefully work after the baby. I do have some savings but its not a whole lot.
My questions are:
1. Am I eligible for Unemployment benefits? I'm still waiting for my EAD.
2. Will applying for unemployment screw up my paperwork for greencard ( I-130, I-485)?
3. Whats the smart thing to do? need advise?

Thanks.

Last edited by DownTheLine; Apr 19th 2006 at 6:21 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1-B , Now married to USC, unemployment benefits?

Originally Posted by DownTheLine
My questions are:
1. Am I eligible for Unemployment benefits?
2. Will applying for unemployment screw up my paperwork for greencard ( I-130, I-485)?

Thanks.
I believe you are not eligible for unemployment benefits because you voluntarily left your job. If you had been laid off or fired, you might have been able to get unemployment benefits.

My advice is to keep looking for another job, so you can continue to support your growing family.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe you are not eligible for unemployment benefits because you voluntarily left your job. If you had been laid off or fired, you might have been able to get unemployment benefits.

My advice is to keep looking for another job, so you can continue to support your growing family.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Sorry...I just re-read your post and you said two different things. First you said you quit your job, then you said they let you go.

Which was it?

Rene
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

DownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really niceDownTheLine is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thanks Rene
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:04 pm

Here's another thought...just in case it turns out that you *are* eligible for unemployment benefits, you must prove to the unemployment agency that you are actively seeking employment. When I was on unemployment (long time ago...might have changed since then) I had to submit something each week or 2 weeks which showed who I applied with, why I didn't get the job, why the job wasn't suitable, etc.

Just trying to say that if you do get the benefits, you can't just sit around and not seriously look for work.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

NCTarheel is on a distinguished road

Hi Friends,
I was on H1-B and it expires on Oct 2007 but I quit my job ( they wanted me to travel and I was unable to travel since my wife is pregnant. They let me go). Now I did get married to my wife who is a USC in Feb 2006 and I'm in the process of applying for my GC, I have all the paper work ready and I will mail it in the next couple of days. My wife is not working, I'm using my friend as a joint sponsor.
I'm looking for jobs but not seriously, I would like to spend time with my pregnant wife, she is due in september and hopefully work after the baby. I do have some savings but its not a whole lot.
My questions are:

Thanks.
Right after you quit your H-1 job you also became out-of-status. H-1s do not have any grace period. Until your I-485 is received by the USCIS, you will be considered out of status. I have no idea if that has any bearing on eligibility for unemployment benefits.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: H1-B , Now married to USC, unemployment benefits?

I think you've got a bloody nerve!

Lazy sod!!!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:37 pm

I see you edited this question. My guess (and totally guessing) is that unemployment won't pay for someone who cannot legally accept employment.

Keep us posted, I'm interested to know if you do indeed qualify.

Rene
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:30 pm
Expat Aussie

Location: Gainesville, VA, USA / Alice Springs, NT, Australia
AussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant future

Hi Friends,
My questions are:

Thanks.
As someone else said, I believe that once you aren't working for your H1-B employer, for whatever reason, you are out of status, so you should get your AOS application in, pronto. As for eligibility for unemployment benefits, dunno. Don't think #2 is an issue, but you never know with the CIS
Good luck, I hope all goes well with your baby.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:32 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Who's going to pay for antenatal and postnatal care?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Who's going to pay for antenatal and postnatal care?
Thanks for the replies.
The state is paying for it.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: H1-B , Now married to USC, unemployment benefits?

Thanks for the replies.
You mean taxpayers?
Lovely.
Which state???
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.
Well.... I'm voting that you're a troll then.
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AussieSteve
As someone else said, I believe that once you aren't working for your H1-B employer, for whatever reason, you are out of status, so you should get your AOS application in, pronto. As for eligibility for unemployment benefits, dunno. Don't think #2 is an issue, but you never know with the CIS
Good luck, I hope all goes well with your baby.
I just called unemployment and they said I'm eligible, I filed my claim over the phone.
I'm not sure how this will affect my paper work. I have all my paper work ready to be sent, I'm still waiting for form 864 from my friend who is the joint sponsor.

Thanks.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well.... I'm voting that you're a troll then.
what do you mean by I'm a troll?

I live in PA, my wife is covered by the welfare, she is a citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.