H1-B Extension

Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:03 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future
Default H1-B Extension

I am being lazy.... I could look this up but I'll use you lot instead

My current H1-B expires in August '09. It is three years long. I have just learned that I will be able to extend my current employment for about another 5 years from today.

Anyway, what is involved with extending the H1-B to the full 6 years? I know it won't be long enough, but it is a stop gap for a few years while "other" things in my life can develop. Does it cost anything or can the paperwork for the original application simply be recycled? Will I have to go an sit in that shitty room in Grovener Sq again?

fanku
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:41 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1-B Extension

Originally Posted by Dan B
I am being lazy.... I could look this up but I'll use you lot instead
lazy bugger

It is three years long.
show-off, mine fits my passport

Anyway, what is involved with extending the H1-B to the full 6 years? I know it won't be long enough, but it is a stop gap for a few years while "other" things in my life can develop.
not sure you can do a complete extension like that. I was under the impression that its renewable for 3 years at a time (mine is due this year, although my GC application is in and pending thanks to the July fiasco last year)

*Went and checked. Renewals are only for 3 years at a time*

Does it cost anything or can the paperwork for the original application simply be recycled?
of course it costs. This is the USA (it ain't free)

Will I have to go an sit in that shitty room in Grovener Sq again?
if you insist you may. there are alternatives though. My collegue had his done in Toronto. I believe some people have had it done in Mexico and the Caribbean. I'll be getting a trip to the UK for mine as it will time nicely with a visit back over there.......

oh, just wait a little while and I'm sure you'll get a more useful answer than mine

Last edited by Paul S; Feb 7th 2008 at 5:31 pm. Reason: checked the renewal requirements
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:35 pm

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Well, I buckled and looked it up. Seems easy enough given a good lead time.

I did come across the O1 visa though... I wonder....
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Bloke popped over to TJ. He had to stay overnight. I see that you are in NY - guess you'll go to Canada.

Can you not put in for a company-sponsored GC now?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Bloke popped over to TJ. He had to stay overnight. I see that you are in NY - guess you'll go to Canada.

Can you not put in for a company-sponsored GC now?
Yeah, or it could be a good excuse to get a paid flight back to blighty.

I doubt I'll still be "single" before I need a to worry about GC stuff