Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1-B from the employers perspective

H1-B from the employers perspective

Old Aug 19th 2015, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of
Default H1-B from the employers perspective

So I'm the office manager for a small company. One of my colleagues is interviewing for a search/SEM/PPC position.

One of the candidates comes to us through an agency, and is currently in the US on the H1-B.

The recruitment agency says in their email - "that she has an extension through her current company and it just needs to be transferred to her new company, so there is an application fee of $1,700 (unless we want to hire a lawyer)".

So if we pay this fee, I assume at some point she has no more extensions and has to return to her country? I don't believe we are on the hook to sponsor her for a green card - correct?

Anything else we should consider or need to be aware of?

So I'm hoping some of you gurus on here can enlighten me as to what happens on the transfers from the employers standpoint.

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 4:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: H1-B from the employers perspective

Major cost will be hour lawyer fees. Depends if that is an issue fo4 you.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1-B from the employers perspective

Originally Posted by limeynus
I assume at some point she has no more extensions and has to return to her country?
Correct.

I don't believe we are on the hook to sponsor her for a green card - correct?
Also correct - and this should be made clear to her, in writing, before she is hired.

Ian