H-1 visa

Old Jul 12th 2002, 8:20 pm
Saritha

Default H-1 visa

Hi

I am on a H-1 visa working for a research institute.My visa is valid till April
2004. But I wish to change my job. When I change my employer, I presume I apply
for a new petition, but I want to know if I can work & recieve payment while my
visa is in process.[Since I already have a H-1 visa & eleigibility to work.]This
is very important for me because visa processing takes atleast 3 months,& I
already spent 3000 the first time for premium processing & lawyer fees. This time
I wish to apply to INS directly. Hence I need to know my situation & if I can earn
during the visa proceess.

Another question,does SSN have anything to do with job? I got my SSN once I got my
H-1 visa. If I go back to dependant status{h-4] later,does the validity of SSN remain
or it is gone?

This site has been very useful to me for various clarifications regarding
visa's.Looking forward for this reply too.

Thnking you Saritha

Old Jul 13th 2002, 8:20 am
Ingo Pakleppa

Default Re: H-1 visa

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:05:56 -0700, Saritha wrote:

> Hi
    >
    > I am on a H-1 visa working for a research institute.My visa is valid till April
    > 2004. But I wish to change my job. When I change my employer, I presume I apply for
    > a new petition, but I want to know if I can work & recieve payment while my visa is
    > in process.[Since I already have a H-1 visa & eleigibility to work.]This is very
    > important for me because visa processing takes atleast 3 months,& I already spent
    > 3000 the first time for premium processing & lawyer fees. This time I wish to apply
    > to INS directly. Hence I need to know my situation & if I can earn during the visa
    > proceess.

Yes, you can work while the transfer is in process. You can either continue to work
for your old employer, or you can start working for the new one as soon as the new
petition is filed (there is a slight risk associated with this, because if the
petition is denied, your status would be undefined. Most attorneys consider this
very minor).

>
    > Another question,does SSN have anything to do with job? I got my SSN once I got my
    > H-1 visa. If I go back to dependant status{h-4] later,does the validity of SSN
    > remain or it is gone?

The SSN is good for life. It is actually illegal (in most cases) to get a second one
if you already had one.

> This site has been very useful to me for various clarifications regarding
    > visa's.Looking forward for this reply too.
    >
    > Thnking you Saritha