British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   guest speaker at naturalization ceremony. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/guest-speaker-naturalization-ceremony-770131/)

whatadiva Aug 31st 2012 2:57 pm

guest speaker at naturalization ceremony.

How do people get picked for becoming guest speakers at the naturalization ceremony???

Yesterday one was a Spanish pediatrician and the other was a lady married to a military guy!?

Noorah101 Aug 31st 2012 3:29 pm

Re: guest speaker at naturalization ceremony.

Originally Posted by whatadiva (Post 10257060)
How do people get picked for becoming guest speakers at the naturalization ceremony???

Yesterday one was a Spanish pediatrician and the other was a lady married to a military guy!?

When my husband had his naturalization ceremony, the judge asked if anyone wanted to come up and share their story. Three people went up and told very moving stories about why they immigrated and why they became USCs. It was really touching. I don't think it was pre-planned...he invited anyone in the whole group to come up if they wanted to.

Rene

celticgrid Aug 31st 2012 5:29 pm

In my case I was lucky. There was no guest speaker and the judge didn't offer up any invites.

whatadiva Aug 31st 2012 5:40 pm

i never received such offer from the time we entered the building to the time we were allocated out seats, otherwise i would have been glad to to be a guest speaker.

whatadiva Aug 31st 2012 5:41 pm

plus the guest speakers were reading from a paper of their story they have written, so for them it was planned in advanced and i was just wondering how they were asked in the first place to be a guest speaker at the ceremony. oh well. done and dusted now.

helwardman Aug 31st 2012 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10257119)
When my husband had his naturalization ceremony, the judge asked if anyone wanted to come up and share their story.

This is exactly what happened at my naturalization ceremony. A couple of people took the mic and told their stories.

Noorah101 Aug 31st 2012 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by helwardman (Post 10257444)
This is exactly what happened at my naturalization ceremony. A couple of people took the mic and told their stories.

Before going into his ceremony, I vowed I wasn't going to get emotional. I did really well until these people started telling their stories, and then I started crying!! Makes you realize how valuable this really is to some people.

Rene

sir_eccles Aug 31st 2012 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10257474)
Before going into his ceremony, I vowed I wasn't going to get emotional. I did really well until these people started telling their stories, and then I started crying!! Makes you realize how valuable this really is to some people.

Rene

I surprised myself too. I went in thinking this was just the last bit of paperwork, dot the i and cross the t. I found it quite emotional too and may have blubbed a bit.