Guardianship??

Old May 2nd 2009, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about
Default Guardianship??

I mentioned in my other thread about my 14/15 year old daughter going back to live and study in the UK, but I would like to ask again, to see if anyone knows...does someone (friend, relative) looking after a young person on a long-term basis in the UK while the parents are living abroad, need to have some sort of official 'guardianship' or formal Parental Responsibility? In our own case, it would be my daughter, now 14 but thinking of going back sometime before her 16th birthday to live probably with her older brother. As they don't even have the same surname, I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea! Anyone have any experience with this?
Old May 2nd 2009, 9:36 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guardianship??

Originally Posted by OrkneytoPortugal
I mentioned in my other thread about my 14/15 year old daughter going back to live and study in the UK, but I would like to ask again, to see if anyone knows...does someone (friend, relative) looking after a young person on a long-term basis in the UK while the parents are living abroad, need to have some sort of official 'guardianship' or formal Parental Responsibility? In our own case, it would be my daughter, now 14 but thinking of going back sometime before her 16th birthday to live probably with her older brother. As they don't even have the same surname, I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea! Anyone have any experience with this?
You cannot give a sibling PR, as both you and her father would have to relinquish it through the courts, or have it taken away by the courts, a very unlikely scenario. I gave a good family family friend a letter of temporary guardianship authority to make any serious medical decisions etc. on my behalf, until I got there. My daughter was seventeen; after the age of sixteen, youth can live independently anyway. Bank accounts, school etc. might be a problem, but if the brother is able to sign for her, as a temporary legal guardian (using the letter), a school might make an exception. You can still sign stuff and fax it back, anyway.
FWIW, my daughter's thoughts on the whole experience was that she was too young when she went back, and felt she needed parental guidance and security at times. If she could do it all over again, she would have waited until she was eighteen, so that she could have gone out and started a social life for herself, with a peer group of young adults.

This is the wording I used in the letter:

I hereby appoint XXXXXX named above as a Temporary Guardian of my daughter XXXXXXXXX named above for the purposes of consenting to medical treatment and providing prescribed medication. If the Temporary Guardian is not available, and prompt medical attention is needed, I also appoint any medical professional to consent to medical treatment on behalf of the Participant. This Appointment is valid for the period stated below.
Old May 2nd 2009, 11:06 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrkneytoPortugal
How old is her brother?
Old May 4th 2009, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

OrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura aboutOrkneytoPortugal has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cricket1
How old is her brother?
Her brother will be 31 by the time she returns.
Old May 4th 2009, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dingbat
You cannot give a sibling PR, as both you and her father would have to relinquish it through the courts, or have it taken away by the courts, a very unlikely scenario. I gave a good family family friend a letter of temporary guardianship authority to make any serious medical decisions etc. on my behalf, until I got there. My daughter was seventeen; after the age of sixteen, youth can live independently anyway. Bank accounts, school etc. might be a problem, but if the brother is able to sign for her, as a temporary legal guardian (using the letter), a school might make an exception. You can still sign stuff and fax it back, anyway.
FWIW, my daughter's thoughts on the whole experience was that she was too young when she went back, and felt she needed parental guidance and security at times. If she could do it all over again, she would have waited until she was eighteen, so that she could have gone out and started a social life for herself, with a peer group of young adults.

This is the wording I used in the letter:

I hereby appoint XXXXXX named above as a Temporary Guardian of my daughter XXXXXXXXX named above for the purposes of consenting to medical treatment and providing prescribed medication. If the Temporary Guardian is not available, and prompt medical attention is needed, I also appoint any medical professional to consent to medical treatment on behalf of the Participant. This Appointment is valid for the period stated below.
Thanks dingbat - this is really useful.