greencard and marriage

Old Dec 21st 2002, 7:03 am
Just Joined

kiwifruit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default greencard and marriage

I am a New Zealander married to an American while on the visa waiver program. I have just recieved my employment authorisation and social security number and I have been fingerprinted. We went to an immigration lawyer who helped out with the paperwork. My question is can anyone tell me what our next step is ?....do we just sit and wait for correspondence from the INS regarding my greencard interview ?...any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 21st 2002, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Aaron Sergeant is an unknown quantity at this point

this is becomming a disturbingly regular phenominon, I grafted like crazy for a K1 visa, and more and more it turns out that all I needed to do was hop on a plane, fill out a waiver then boom all legal after marriage,
you will be send a letter of appointment for the Adjudication officer, provide as much proof as possible over a shared life and dependability on each other, because you entered on a tourist visa you will need to fil out a Deportation waiver and pay something like $200.00 for it right there, then you will be set. I know this because a collegue at work is German and that is what he told me as he did the exact same thing as you. Good luck
Old Dec 21st 2002, 3:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Aaron Sergeant
you will be send a letter of appointment for the Adjudication officer, provide as much proof as possible over a shared life and dependability on each other, because you entered on a tourist visa you will need to fil out a Deportation waiver and pay something like $200.00 for it right there, then you will be set. I know this because a collegue at work is German and that is what he told me as he did the exact same thing as you. Good luck
Sorry but this is not the case for Kiwi. I don't know about your German colleague but there must be more to his/her case than what you think.

Kiwi

Yes now it is just another waiting game. You have the legal right to work and that EAD is your proof that you have legal status in the US. Although INS frowns upon entering and marrying and adjusting, it is allowed and done daily by thousands of people and without a need for a inadmissibility waiver or penalty fee.

As Kiwi already knows the main problem would be any incriminating statements made at the POE upon entry. If you are clear on that, then there should be no problem.

Kiwi I don't recall what INS Office you are using but it is a matter of waiting. Usually, and note that I said usually, fingerprinting is done a few months prior to the AOS interview. So for now just enjoy your new married status and live your life and start accumulating proof of the validity of your marriage.

Happy Holidays
Rita
Old Dec 21st 2002, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

kiwifruit is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks heaps for your replies. All the best to both of you.