Greencard holder getting married

Old Aug 26th 2002, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

patrickloyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greencard holder getting married

I have a greencard and my interview is set on August 29. Can I marry someone with a b2 visa without my citizenship or would that hinder me from getting my citizenship?
Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:15 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Greencard holder getting married

Getting married has nothing to do with your naturalization interview.

patrickloyd wrote:
    > I have a greencard and my interview is set on August 29. Can I marry someone with a
    > b2 visa without my citizenship or would that hinder me from getting my citizenship?
    > --
    > Patrick
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 27th 2002, 1:43 pm
Liwen Liang

You can marry to anyone you want at anytime, but your future spouse may have a long
wait for his/her green card.

patrickloyd <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a greencard and my interview is set on August 29. Can I marry someone with a
    > b2 visa without my citizenship or would that hinder me from getting my citizenship?

Old Aug 27th 2002, 2:03 pm
Andy Platt

"Liwen Liang" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
m
    > You can marry to anyone you want at anytime, but your future spouse may have a long
    > wait for his/her green card.

You are missing the point. He is about to become a US citizen and wanted to know
if *marrying* before that point would hinder him getting his US citizenship which
it wouldn't.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Aug 27th 2002, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Default Please read, very short one_real short.

Thanks to Mr Travel Liwen Liang and Andy Platt.

Next question is, if we get married tomorrow. Would it be harder for my wife to be to get her working visa as well as her greencard. If your answer is yes, please explain. By the way, I'm marrying her in good faith.

Thanks in advance again
Originally posted by patrickloyd:
I have a greencard and my interview is set on August 29. Can I marry someone with a b2 visa without my citizenship or would that hinder me from getting my citizenship?
Old Aug 27th 2002, 4:23 pm
Lars & Ling

patrickloyd <[email protected]> wrote in message

it will not hinder your naturalization. but your partner with a b2 visa will not get
a green card (thru marrying you) to remain in the US if her b2 expires before your
naturalization. if there is desire for your partner to get a green card to stay in
the US with you after marriage, it is best to wait after you are naturalized. then
your spouse will only need to adjust status to remain in the US with you permanently.

Old Aug 27th 2002, 4:27 pm
Andy Platt

Assuming you / she are not planning to actually file before you are a US citizen,
probably not. The "probably" is because the real issue here would be how long she has
been in the US on the B2. You should read the information on adjusting from a tourist
visa at the following site to find out all about the 30/60 day rule, etc:

http://www.mindspri-
ng.com/~docsteen/visainfo/visainfo.htm

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "patrickloyd"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks to Mr Travel Liwen Liang and Andy Platt.
    > Next question is, if we get married tomorrow. Would it be harder for my wife to be
    > to get her working visa as well as her greencard. If your answer is yes, please
    > explain. By the way, I'm marrying her in good faith.
    > Thanks in advance again Originally posted by patrickloyd: I have a greencard and my
    > interview is set on August 29. Can I marry someone with a b2 visa without my
    > citizenship or would that hinder me from getting my citizenship?
    > --
    > Patrick

Old Aug 27th 2002, 4:29 pm
Andy Platt

This is a little incorrect. If she remains here past the expiry of her stay, she will
be out of status. However, when her husband becomes a US citizen he can still file
for her even if she is out of status.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Lars & Ling"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] om...
    > patrickloyd <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > I have a greencard and my interview is set on August 29. Can I marry someone with
    > > a b2 visa without my citizenship or would that hinder me from getting my
    > > citizenship?
    > it will not hinder your naturalization. but your partner with a b2 visa will not
    > get a green card (thru marrying you) to remain in the US if her b2 expires before
    > your naturalization. if there is desire for your partner to get a green card to
    > stay in the US with you after marriage, it is best to wait after you are
    > naturalized. then your spouse will only need to adjust status to remain in the US
    > with you permanently.

Old Aug 27th 2002, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to you too Lars and Ling
Old Aug 27th 2002, 7:47 pm
Mrtravel

patrickloyd wrote:
    > Thanks to Mr Travel Liwen Liang and Andy Platt.
    > Next question is, if we get married tomorrow. Would it be harder for my wife to be
    > to get her working visa as well as her greencard. If your answer is yes, please
    > explain. By the way, I'm marrying her in good faith.

What "working visa"?

The greencard is going to be easier if you marry her than if you don't marry her, I
don't see the issue. However, if her I-94 expires before you get citizenship, marry,
and file for adjustment of status, then she is out of status... My recommendation is
for her to apply for an extension of the B-2. In this post 9-11 time, you don't want
to be caught out of status...

However, if she does become out of status and you are a US citizen, you can marry her
and there should be no problem, if she made a "clean entry" into the US. It would be
helpful if she can remember the conversation she had with INS on entry. Did she have
to tell them about her job or home, etc. When she applied for the B-2, did she
indicate she had a fiance living in the US?

> Thanks in advance again Originally posted by patrickloyd: I have a greencard and my
    > interview is set on August 29. Can I marry someone with a b2 visa without my
    > citizenship or would that hinder me from getting my citizenship?
    > --
    > Patrick