Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Greencard expiration and travel...

Greencard expiration and travel...

Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

shak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greencard expiration and travel...

This is one of those questions where I probably know the answer already...but just want to be sure. I have a couple questions actually...

My greencard expired the end of November(I got it as a child), and I applied for citizenship in July. I wanted to travel back to London this summer(I still have my valid British Passport)...but obviously with how things are going these days with all the applicants, who knows when the whole naturalization process will be done.

My question is...am I allowed to travel At All with just my British passport but an expired greencard? I planned on going away for 2 weeks, so could I just travel on the British passport alone? And if I'm not allowed to travel internationally, would I be able to travel nationally? I know they require passports for travel within the US these days...could I do that with my British Passport?

I had my fingerprints done about 1 1/2 months ago...I don't know what usually happens after that. The whole waiting process seems a bit much... I originally wasn't planning on citizenship...just renewing my greencard, but when I saw the price of renewing and the price of applying for naturalization, it made much more sense just to apply for citizenship.

Anyway, any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greencard expiration and travel...

Originally Posted by shak
My question is...am I allowed to travel At All with just my British passport but an expired greencard?
No, you will need to show proof of your status in the USA.

I planned on going away for 2 weeks, so could I just travel on the British passport alone?
No. You can take your passport and proof that you applied for naturalization, to your local office, and get an I-551 stamp which will be proof of your current PR status. Make an Info-pass appointment via www.uscis.gov.

And if I'm not allowed to travel internationally, would I be able to travel nationally?
Yes.

I know they require passports for travel within the US these days...could I do that with my British Passport?
I have not heard of this requirement. To my knowledge, showing any government-issued photo ID is enough to travel domestically.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:01 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

And if I'm not allowed to travel internationally, would I be able to travel nationally? I know they require passports for travel within the US these days...could I do that with my British Passport?
All domestic planes would be virtually empty if that was the case.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:34 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

I would not recommend international travel without a valid Alien Registration Card (ARC) or an I-551 stamp. Not only would you run the risk that airline personnel might not let you board because you do not have a visa or your ARC with you -- although this risk is low, given that a UK citizen can enter without a visa -- but upon arrival, you would risk an exceedingly unpleasant and possibly expensive couple of hours in the scintillating company of US Customs and Border Protection while they verified green card status in the computer and (probably) required you to pay to apply to replace the ARC.

--J
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for the responses, I wasn't aware of the I-551 stamp, that's the info I was looking for. I've tried calling that 800 number loads of times and have never been able to speak with anyone.

So, if I make an appointment I can get that stamp, and that's just as good as me showing my greencard when I'm going through immigration? Or is it not that simple..? Does the I-551 stamp have an expiration date?

I got a little confused about domestic travel with passports... but thanks for clearing that up too.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So, if I make an appointment I can get that stamp, and that's just as good as me showing my greencard when I'm going through immigration? Or is it not that simple..? Does the I-551 stamp have an expiration date?
The official number of the permanent resident document is I-551. It can come in the form of a stamp, or the form of a plastic card. They are exactly the same thing, and they both carry exactly the same weight. So yes, the I-551 stamp will be exactly like carrying your plastic green card.

The stamp will most likely have an expiration date. My guess is 1 year, but I suppose they can make it valid as long as they want.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Will it make a difference at all that my greencard has actually expired(in november)? Am I still able to get the stamp? I assume my status is still the same whether my card has expired or not....
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:23 pm

Will it make a difference at all that my greencard has actually expired(in november)? Am I still able to get the stamp? I assume my status is still the same whether my card has expired or not....
Your PR status is still intact. Only the plastic card expires. Your PR status does not expire until an Immigration Judge says it does.

Bring all your proof of everything to the Infopass appointment, though.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:35 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the immigration district you reside in, but USCIS is recently quite reluctant to issue the I-551 stamp. Often, the maximum validity on the stamp will be 60 days.

By the way, they will provide you with the stamp if you have filed an I-90 application for a new ARC. They will NOT give you the I-551 stamp SIMPLY BECAUSE you have applied for and are awaiting naturalization.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Hmm...i'll definitely have to get more info on that stamp then. Since I wanted to travel in the summer...

There is a SMALL possibility that I will be through with the naturalization process by then....but we'll see.

So, this stamp would be in my British Passport(if I actually get it)... when I go to renew my British passport in 3 years..will that stamp be a problem at all? Do you have to send in your old passport when you apply for a new one?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:06 pm

Hmm...i'll definitely have to get more info on that stamp then. Since I wanted to travel in the summer...
If you are not naturalized by summer, take proof of your immediate travel plans with you to the Infopass appointment. I believe they will issue the stamp if they see you have travel plans and no proof of your status. So you might have to wait until you actually have an airline ticket in hand, or at least an itinerary.

So, this stamp would be in my British Passport(if I actually get it)... when I go to renew my British passport in 3 years..will that stamp be a problem at all?
Yes, it will be in your British passport. It shouldn't be a problem.

Do you have to send in your old passport when you apply for a new one?
I believe so, yes. I think they return both to you, with the old one cancelled.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:11 pm
US immigration lawyer.

Let me add a wrinkle to my prior answer. After a little checking, it APPEARS that there was a USCIS practice of putting the I-551 stamp in passports, where the Legal Permanent Resident had applied for naturalization but whose ARC had recently expired. I have not spoken to colleagues with any recent experience on this.

So: you may have some luck (a) getting an INFOPASS appointment, (b) showing up to USCIS with the receipt for your N-400 + your expired ARC, and (c) convincing the information officer to give you the I-551 stamp.

Having said this, however, my recent experience with getting the I-551 stamp for clients (in other circumstances, admittedly) is not pretty.

--J
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

There is a SMALL possibility that I will be through with the naturalization process by then....but we'll see.
If this happens, you *will* need a US passport to travel internationally... not so much for getting out, but for getting back in. You are required to use a US passport to enter the US if you are a USC.

Ian
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so what is the purpose of the I-551 stamp? Do some people have actual plastic cards..and other people stamps?

In general...as someone is going through the naturalization process, are you supposed to stay in the country until the process is over?

I did look into infopass, and it seemed that I could get an appointment quite quickly, but of course all the available hours are during my work hours. So, I was thinking that maybe I should wait a few months (especially since the stamp is most likely to expire after 60 days or however long)...and see if I hear anything from USCIS.

As of right now it's only been 2 months since my card has expired, I wonder if I wait until late spring to enquire about getting the I-551 stamp, if it will be too late because of the time gap.

Obviously my best bet is to wait before I book any travel arrangements, since I'm not sure of anything... but if the possible time is now 16 to 18 months to complete the naturaliztion process... are people supposed to just sit around and wait or what...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Let me add a wrinkle to my prior answer. After a little checking, it APPEARS that there was a USCIS practice of putting the I-551 stamp in passports, where the Legal Permanent Resident had applied for naturalization but whose ARC had recently expired. I have not spoken to colleagues with any recent experience on this.

So: you may have some luck (a) getting an INFOPASS appointment, (b) showing up to USCIS with the receipt for your N-400 + your expired ARC, and (c) convincing the information officer to give you the I-551 stamp.

Having said this, however, my recent experience with getting the I-551 stamp for clients (in other circumstances, admittedly) is not pretty.

--J
Hello to all:

I had mentioned this to J today so that we could both check up on it. We were curious. I did talk to a person who does have experience in this -- and this statement is limited to the Los Angeles District. I have no idea of the practice anywhere else. Los Angeles WILL give you the temporary I-551 stamp on an InfoPass appointment PROVIDED your N-400 was filed more than six months before the expiration date on the I-551.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.