Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Greencard application - what a mess and a lesson to all.

Greencard application - what a mess and a lesson to all.

Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greencard application - what a mess and a lesson to all.

Hi All, not a poster by trait but thought i'd share my scenario. Not too hot at typing so please be patient.

After successfully receiving my L1A in May 2009, my employer decided to apply for my permanent residence in February of this year. Hooray!

We used the same attorney that guided us through the L1A fun and was hopeful of a quick conclusion - these were the assurances. After filing in Feb we received notice that further information was requested. This was returned and back in the USCIS system by May. During this period we have also completed our biometrics.

Now the real funs starts.

My attorney has decided now would be a marvelous time to abscond and with it all the correspondence and applications. Alarmingly, my employer doesn't have any copies either. Equally frustrating is that my application with the USCIS seems to have gone cold. No movement since they received the further info. Nearly eleven months of fun and no conclusion. I guess i'm bottom of someones headache in some delightful Texan office - lol.

My word to everyone making applications is, MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING, REGARDLESS OF WHOSE FILING!!! Don't be pathetic and trusting, like my employer and I.

Not sure where to tread next but really do feel lost in this scenario. No attorney available for advice or words of comfort. Company seems to have lost motivation too.

Of course, appointing a new attorney has been interesting given the application has been submitted and the money spent. What happens if there are further requests from the Gods? Holy moly!

Sorry, had to vent!

Gator
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greencard application - what a mess and a lesson to all.

That sucks, Gator. I'd think a new attorney should be able to get ahold of your info from USCIS but it's going to be a pain. And a delay.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greencard application - what a mess and a lesson to all.

Try a FOIA request to USCIS to get a copy of everything submitted. Ours took about 7 weeks. Good luck.