British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   green cardand visa waiver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/green-cardand-visa-waiver-866163/)

stevie223 Oct 4th 2015 10:18 pm

green cardand visa waiver

hey there, i was just wondering before i fly out in a few days, i have my 2 year green card but does anyone know do i need to apply for the visa waiver program for my passport. what will happen upon re entry.

thanks

Noorah101 Oct 4th 2015 10:41 pm

Re: green cardand visa waiver

Originally Posted by stevie223 (Post 11764675)
hey there, i was just wondering before i fly out in a few days, i have my 2 year green card but does anyone know do i need to apply for the visa waiver program for my passport. what will happen upon re entry.

thanks

If you already have a green card, then you no longer need to use the VWP, no. You are no longer a visitor to the USA...you are a permanent resident.

Upon re entry to the USA, you will show your green card, the officer will look at it, verify some things on his computer, and say "Welcome Home".

Rene

stevie223 Oct 4th 2015 10:48 pm

thanks Rene, i appreciate it.

sir_eccles Oct 4th 2015 11:06 pm

You may not be able to check in online. Depends on the airline, it has got better recently I think.

ian-mstm Oct 5th 2015 12:31 am

Originally Posted by stevie223 (Post 11764675)
... i was just wondering before i fly out in a few days, i have my 2 year green card but does anyone know do i need to apply for the visa waiver program for my passport. what will happen upon re entry.

I have nothing to add to the good advice you've already received, but I note that you're in Barboursville. I live in Kentucky but I work in Huntington. There's another member, although he hasn't posted for a while now, who lives in Chesapeake, but also works in Huntington.

Small world! Welcome home! :)

Ian

stevie223 Oct 5th 2015 1:14 am

It is a small world indeed Ian. I've also met a person from Scotland who lives in Teays Valley, who I talk to a little bit. I've also chatted to a woman from Wales to, I've got a thick Northern Irish accent and she thought I was from Minnesota lol.

crg Oct 5th 2015 3:03 am

If you're towards the end of the 2 years and you've sent in the I-751, have the receipt with you.

rpjs Oct 5th 2015 10:24 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11764696)
You may not be able to check in online. Depends on the airline, it has got better recently I think.

Certainly there's no problem with British Airways and Aer Lingus, so long as you add your A# to your APIS information before checking in.

Also to the OP: when returning to the US, be ready to show your Green Card along with your passport at both check-in/bag-drop, if you use it, and at the gate. If you're travelling hand-baggage only and check-in online and so go straight through security at the airport, you may get paged for a document check ahead of boarding too.