Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green card status petition for sibling/parents

Green card status petition for sibling/parents

Old Feb 13th 2001, 5:51 am
Dumbkid

Hi,

I have my green card for almost 2 years now. Is it possible to apply GC for my
brother/parents?

I heard there is a new law that allow people without status in US to apply for GC. Does
that person required to apply for some type of visa to stay legally before apply GC?

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Tom

Old Feb 14th 2001, 9:42 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Dumbkid wrote:

> I have my green card for almost 2 years now. Is it possible to apply GC for my
> brother/parents?

No. Only U.S. citizens are eligible to file a Relative Petition (Form I-130) on behalf of
a parent or sibling. See http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/se...ncy/family.htm.

> I heard there is a new law that allow people without status in US to apply for GC. Does
> that person required to apply for some type of visa to stay legally before apply GC?

No.

The law does not provide any basis on which to make an initial application for GC which
did not already exist. It only provides for a method of completing a second stage of
immigration, Form I-485, despite being out of status. And the filing of the immigrant
petition or labor certification (before 4/30/01) which makes them eligible for 245i does
not protect anyone from deportation proceedings while waiting to be eligible to file Form
I-485, which may take many many years.