Green card questions.

Old Mar 3rd 2018, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute
Question Green card questions.

I’m sure this question has been asked before but here goes, my daughter who’s 21 has a GC but she has been over in the U.K, she is heading back to the USA in May this year so in total she has been outside the USA for 11months. Unfortunately my dear daughter knows all there is to know about everything note the sarcasm in my tone. I have informed her that once she returns to the USA she has to stay for a period of time, she thinks she can return to the U.K after being in the USA for only a month. I’ve tried to explain there is a good chance she if she leaves the USA again on her return her GC can be taken by the immigration officer and could find herself in front of an immigration judge! Is this information I’m giving her correct? I’m so annoyed with her after spending a fair amount of money she doesn’t get it.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 8:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card questions.

Will she apply for a reentry permit?
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She could file a I 407 and visit on the VWP assuming eligible.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 9:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarasota chic
I’m sure this question has been asked before but here goes, my daughter who’s 21 has a GC but she has been over in the U.K, she is heading back to the USA in May this year so in total she has been outside the USA for 11months. Unfortunately my dear daughter knows all there is to know about everything note the sarcasm in my tone. I have informed her that once she returns to the USA she has to stay for a period of time, she thinks she can return to the U.K after being in the USA for only a month. I’ve tried to explain there is a good chance she if she leaves the USA again on her return her GC can be taken by the immigration officer and could find herself in front of an immigration judge! Is this information I’m giving her correct? I’m so annoyed with her after spending a fair amount of money she doesn’t get it.
In theory, but many push well beyond what your daughter is doing. If she doesn't care whether she keeps her green card then there's not much of an issue, but if she wants to keep it then she would be well advised to (i) get a reentry permit, (ii) keep demonstrable ties to the US (address, bank account, car, etc.,) and (iii) plan to come back permanently, or at least long enough to apply for citizenship. .... Has she had her green card long enough to apply for citizenship?

A colleague of mine with a green card worked and lived in Argentina for seventeen straight years that I know of, just making sure to return to the US each for vacation, to "keep his green card active".

That was ten years ago, and I don't know all his circumstances, but he seemed to be operating well beyond what the "common wisdom" on BE says. I lost touch with him but it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't still doing the same thing.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 3rd 2018 at 9:47 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

A guy I know was given the once over after 5 months out, to the extent he naturalised before he tried another long trip.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 9:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
A guy I know was given the once over after 5 months out, to the extent he naturalised before he tried another long trip.
Exactly! It's a cräp shoot. Depending on the CBP officer on duty when you arrive back in the US, local policy at your port of arrival, and generally which way the wind us blowing, it could blow up in your face at any moment!
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In theory, but many push well beyond what your daughter is doing. If she doesn't care whether she keeps her green card then there's not much of an issue, but if she wants to keep it then she would be well advised to (i) get a reentry permit, (ii) keep demonstrable ties to the US (address, bank account, car, etc.,) and (iii) plan to come back permanently, or at least long enough to apply for citizenship. .... Has she had her green card long enough to apply for citizenship?

A colleague of mine with a green card worked and lived in Argentina for seventeen straight years that I know of, just making sure to return to the US each for vacation, to "keep his green card active".

That was ten years ago, and I don't know all his circumstances, but he seemed to be operating well beyond what the "common wisdom" on BE says. I lost touch with him but it wouldn't surprise me if he isn't still doing the same thing.
Pulaski she has a permanent address in the USA and family ties(us), when she comes over I will get her to open a bank account too. She has only had the green card sinc July 2017.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 11:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

She will be under the 12 month deadline for possibly losing her GC. What is she doing in the UK?
Old Mar 4th 2018, 1:37 am
Account Closed

How long was she at her Permanent Address?