Green Card Question

Old Jun 21st 2002, 5:20 am
Johnny

Default Green Card Question

Just wondering if anyone has had recent experience with getting his or her first
green card after arriving here from a K1 visa. After applying in September, we
finally received a card from the INS today. Much to my surprise, it was a pretty
cheesy card with her picture stapled to it and it expires in one year. Just curious
if we are going to get another more perm ant card and if I need to make another
application one year down the road. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Johnny

Old Jun 21st 2002, 6:21 am
Mrtravel

Default Re: Green Card Question

Johnny wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has had recent experience with getting his or her first
    > green card after arriving here from a K1 visa. After applying in September, we
    > finally received a card from the INS today. Much to my surprise, it was a pretty
    > cheesy card with her picture stapled to it and it expires in one year. Just curious
    > if we are going to get another more perm ant card and if I need to make another
    > application one year down the road. Any help would be appreciated.

That sounds odd. The picture would not be stapled.

Old Jun 21st 2002, 2:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Johnny,

Interesting. I think a 'Green Card' is a pretty impressive looking card.

You say you applied in September (applied for what, exactly?) but you didn't say when the AOS interview took place. Did an AOS interview take place? With a 1-year expiry could the card possibly be an EAD? But an EAD, like a 'Green Card', wouldn't have the picture stapled on.

Whatever the card is, your very limited description of it sounds like it could be a card that didn't make it through the full fabrication process. How about telling the group more about the card - such as what does the card say on it?

In any event, again based on the very limited information you provided, I'd be inclined to take the card to my local District Office or Sub Office to get their guidance as to what to do with it. (But then, I'm conveniently located a very short disance from my local Sub Office.)

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Johnny
Just wondering if anyone has had recent experience with getting his or her first
green card after arriving here from a K1 visa. After applying in September, we
finally received a card from the INS today. Much to my surprise, it was a pretty
cheesy card with her picture stapled to it and it expires in one year. Just curious
if we are going to get another more perm ant card and if I need to make another
application one year down the road. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Johnny

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jun 21st 2002 at 2:21 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2002, 2:20 pm
M1nn0w

That indeed sounds very ODD. Almost sounds like someone in INS stapled a picture onto
a card used as a inter-office request to have a Proper Green Card made up and by
mistake sent it to the wrong place. IMHO I would take the card to your local INS
center and ask them to verify its validity.

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 2:20 am
Johnny

As I look closer at this card...it's an I-94 card with her picture glues(nt stapled
to it. There is a red stamp that reads "Processed for I-551 temporary evidence of
lawful admission for permanent residence Valid until
6/18/03 (hand written). The letter that we received with it says "The processing of
the application for adjustment of status to that of permanent resident has been
completed.

Does this mean I should expect the card in the mail soon? Thanx for any help.

Johnny

On 21-Jun-2002, jeffreyhy <[email protected]> wrote:

> Johnny wrote:
    > > Just wondering if anyone has had recent experience with getting his or her
    > > first green card after arriving here from a K1 visa. After applying in
    > > September, we finally received a card from the INS today. Much to my surprise,
    > > it was a pretty cheesy card with her picture stapled to it and it expires in
    > > one year. Just curious if we are going to get another more perm ant card and if
    > > I need to make another application one year down the road. Any help would be
    > > appreciated. Thanx, Johnny
    >
    > Johnny,
    >
    > Interesting. I think a 'Green Card' is a pretty impressive looking card.
    >
    > With a 1-year expiry could it possibly be an EAD? But an EAD, like a 'Green Card',
    > wouldn't have the picture stapled on.
    >
    > Whatever the card is, your very limited description of it sounds like it could be a
    > card that didn't make it through the full fabrication process. How about telling
    > the group more about the card - such as what does the card say on it?
    >
    > Whatever, again based on your very limited description, I'd be inclined to take the
    > card to my local District Office or Sub Office to get their guidance as to what to
    > do. (But then, I'm conveniently located a very short disance from my local Sub
    > Office.)
    >
    > Regards, JEff

Old Jun 22nd 2002, 2:20 am
Michele Sharik

Does your letter look like this?
http://ladysun1969.tripod.com/sitebu...ctures/cpr1.jp g

or like this?
http://ladysun1969.tripod.com/sitebu...ctures/cpr2.jp g

"Johnny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > As I look closer at this card...it's an I-94 card with her picture
glues(nt
    > stapled to it. There is a red stamp that reads "Processed for I-551 temporary
    > evidence of lawful admission for permanent residence Valid until
    > 6/18/03 (hand written). The letter that we received with it says "The processing of
    > the application for adjustment of status to that of
permanent
    > resident has been completed.
    >
    > Does this mean I should expect the card in the mail soon? Thanx for any help.
    >
    > Johnny