Green Card/Passport?

Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:51 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Green Card/Passport?

I recently got my Green Card and will be traveling to the UK in a couple of weeks. As I was born in New Zealand I have passports for NZ and the UK. I have always entered the US on my UK passport as this was what my visa was attached to. My Green Card states country of birth as NZ. Should I enter with my NZ passport or UK?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to allAndrew Wilson is a name known to all
Default Re: Green Card/Passport?

You should be fine using either passport and your green card.

Perhaps most prudent to travel with both passports and green card, although again either should work fine. Just because your green card shows NZ as your country of birth does not mean you are stuck only using that passport now.

Regards,

Andrew M. Wilson, Esq.
Serotte Reich Wilson, LLP
<<snip>>

Last edited by Sue; Apr 3rd 2008 at 6:44 pm. Reason: Links removed. Please adhere to rule 9 of the site rules. Link to your site is only allowed in your signature!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Green Card/Passport?

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
I recently got my Green Card and will be traveling to the UK in a couple of weeks. As I was born in New Zealand I have passports for NZ and the UK. I have always entered the US on my UK passport as this was what my visa was attached to. My Green Card states country of birth as NZ. Should I enter with my NZ passport or UK?

Thanks in advance.
Hi:

What NATIONALITY did you claim on your adjustment/or visa application. If you obtained your green card via an Immigrant Visa application abroad, I would suggest using the passport you used to immigrate.

If you adjusted, I have a feeling you probably used UK passport since that was the one you used to prove inspection. If so, that is the passport to use.

Assuming you used the UK passport, DHS records most likely show native of NZ, citizen of UK. If you do not travel in conformity with that, you run into the danger of making a CBP border person THINK. That can be dangerous.

This where I usually make my standard "I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer" comment. However, the above discussion is not really legal advice. I happen to agree with Mr. Wilson that either passport should be fine. However, you may want to consider how much time you would like to spend in secondary inspection.

Peace.