Green card legal costs

Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Matt_overhere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card legal costs

Dear All,

As a recent arrival to these shores, with an L1A visa stuffed in my pocket, I have been looking into "the green card option". we arrived in April 2008, we being wife ad 2 young kids. Having searched this excellent forum I have, I believe, some grasp of the basics. Therefore, my company was asked to investigate the Green Card procedures and costs, via our attorneys. Here is a simple breakdown, not implying that i have dumbed it down for the audience, its all the information i have.

Step 1 - Determine no a US citizen cannot perform my role, advertise Job etc
Step 2 - ED2
Step 3 - I-140 submit
Step 4 - Adjustment of status

My limited understanding of the L1A visa was, Step 1 is not necessary? Is that correct, i am trying to get my facts straight before I go back to the attorneys.

Also the attorney's are quoting $9.5k to do the work on this, is this the right ball park for this work?

Many thanks in advance

Matt
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card legal costs

If you are L1A then normally you should be eligible for EB-1C which does not require labor certification. But there may be exceptions.

Unclear what you mean by "ED2".

Most people file the I-140 and AOS concurrently if they can (although there is discussion that this option might not be available in the near future). You might also want to look at applying for an Employment Authorization Document even if you will have no need to use it.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are L1A then normally you should be eligible for EB-1C which does not require labor certification. But there may be exceptions.

Unclear what you mean by "ED2".

Most people file the I-140 and AOS concurrently if they can (although there is discussion that this option might not be available in the near future). You might also want to look at applying for an Employment Authorization Document even if you will have no need to use it.
not sure either about ED2. I am going back to them for clarification. regarding fees, in my continued searching i have found some back agreement that they are in the same ball park as quotes received by someonelse.

post 11 in:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=eb1c
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

The post you were referring to was from me and although I said it was a ballpark figure, it was including the various filing fees, etc. If your attorney is including the cost of Labor Certification which would not be required for EB1C I would expect that initial figure you were given to reduce a bit if that step is not being carried out. When I spoke to the company's attorney before my application started she told me that if we did not go for EB1C we would be looking at the EB3 category instead and the costs would be in the region of double due to the extra legal work involved.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Socal Local
The post you were referring to was from me and although I said it was a ballpark figure, it was including the various filing fees, etc. If your attorney is including the cost of Labor Certification which would not be required for EB1C I would expect that initial figure you were given to reduce a bit if that step is not being carried out. When I spoke to the company's attorney before my application started she told me that if we did not go for EB1C we would be looking at the EB3 category instead and the costs would be in the region of double due to the extra legal work involved.
Going back to the attorneys at the moment to get to the bottom of the labor certification, and why they feel it is necessary as i am classified EB1C.

did you go for EB1C or EB3? how did you get on?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt_overhere
Dear All,

As a recent arrival to these shores, with an L1A visa stuffed in my pocket, I have been looking into "the green card option". we arrived in April 2008, we being wife ad 2 young kids. Having searched this excellent forum I have, I believe, some grasp of the basics. Therefore, my company was asked to investigate the Green Card procedures and costs, via our attorneys. Here is a simple breakdown, not implying that i have dumbed it down for the audience, its all the information i have.

Step 1 - Determine no a US citizen cannot perform my role, advertise Job etc
Step 2 - ED2
Step 3 - I-140 submit
Step 4 - Adjustment of status

My limited understanding of the L1A visa was, Step 1 is not necessary? Is that correct, i am trying to get my facts straight before I go back to the attorneys.

Also the attorney's are quoting $9.5k to do the work on this, is this the right ball park for this work?

Many thanks in advance

Matt
Hi:

Did you get this in writing or is this your notes of the conversation with the attorney? Your description strikes me as being drawn from the notes of a layperson. I also think you reference to "ED-2" is actually to "EB-2".

Was this the same attorney who handled the L-1 petition?

I know that I have had consultations where I set out the various options and describe a ballpark fee.

As to the amount -- fees can vary on location, difficulty, experience of the lawyer, local market conditions, etc etc.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replying, i have added my answers in the text

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Did you get this in writing or is this your notes of the conversation with the attorney? Your description strikes me as being drawn from the notes of a layperson. I also think you reference to "ED-2" is actually to "EB-2".

worse than that, my notes from someone else who had a conversation with the attorney

Was this the same attorney who handled the L-1 petition? yes
I know that I have had consultations where I set out the various options and describe a ballpark fee.

As to the amount -- fees can vary on location, difficulty, experience of the lawyer, local market conditions, etc etc. - Understand, just trying to get a ballpark idea of whether it was a reasonable cost, which, so far i think it is
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

did you go for EB1C or EB3? how did you get on?
I initially came here on an L1B visa for what was going to be a one year secondment. When it came to making this a permanent move the company was by then using a different attorney who thought that my position was more suitable for an L1A and hence EB1C. She advised that there was some risk involved because of being L1B rather than L1A (although I did successfully change to L1A once the visa came up for renewal) and therefore outlined the difference in costs between the somewhat riskier EB1C approach and the more sure fire (but significantly longer and more costly) EB3 approach.

We went for EB1C and I'm pleased to report that my I-140 was approved this week
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for replying, i have added my answers in the text

worse than that, my notes from someone else who had a conversation with the attorney

Was this the same attorney who handled the L-1 petition? yes

As to the amount -- fees can vary on location, difficulty, experience of the lawyer, local market conditions, etc etc. - Understand, just trying to get a ballpark idea of whether it was a reasonable cost, which, so far i think it is
Hi:

Yes, at least that explains why your post is a tad incomprehensible.

You mention you are here on L-1A status -- which suggests that your case might be quite doable for the lawyer. You mention a wife and two kids [I assume under 14] -- just the filing fees are $3,690, and you will need four medicals.

I don't the dimensions of the ballpark in your area -- I don't even know what area you are in!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

englishlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Matt,
Which State are you in?
$9,500 seems awfully high. I only joined this site about 5 minutes ago so I'm not sure what I can and can't say! Anyway, my British Immigration Attorney here in California charges a lot less than that.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by englishlady
Hello Matt,
Which State are you in?
$9,500 seems awfully high. I only joined this site about 5 minutes ago so I'm not sure what I can and can't say! Anyway, my British Immigration Attorney here in California charges a lot less than that.
Hi:

As you have noted, you have been a member for five minutes -- however, you should read at least the entirety of this thread.

The OP is not even sure what the quote covered. We also don't know where she is located. We don't know the precise details of the application. In fact, we don't know what you did.

It is already been noted that the filing fees alone might be $3,700 which might bring the lawyers fee down to $6,000 which might very well be a reasonable fee.

Here in CA, if it was for legal fees only, it would strike me as high but not in the realm of impermissible "offend the conscience" standard of excessive fees.

The OP has to nail down what the quote covers. She is then free to do some shopping.