Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

green card & job opportunity outside US

green card & job opportunity outside US

Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Fred JS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default green card & job opportunity outside US

Hello,

I have been in the US for quite a few years and got my green card 2 years ago.

Would I automatically lose permanent resident status if I accept a job offer outside the US? Or could I maintain that status and my green card if I maintain some type of connection with US Immigration, whether by coming back to the US periodically or keep a primary residence in the US.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

FSJ
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: green card & job opportunity outside US

Originally Posted by Fred JS
Would I automatically lose permanent resident status if I accept a job offer outside the US?
Automatically? No. Possibly? Yes. Likely? Hard to say.

... I maintain some type of connection with US Immigration, whether by coming back to the US periodically or keep a primary residence in the US.
It's possible to leave the US for years and maintain your status as a permanent resident. It's also possible to leave the US for a day and lose your status. Go figure! Don't confuse the terms "visit" and "reside".

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Ian thanks. So keeping my condo, paying my mortgage, filing a 1040 tax return, all the while working abroad for say 2 years would increase my chances to maintain my PR status? Or could I still lose it?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to be doing this, be sure not to leave the US without having applied via form I-131 for a travel document.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:54 am
Just Joined

thanks for the prompt feedback. I will look into the I131.

FJS
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred JS
Ian thanks. So keeping my condo, paying my mortgage, filing a 1040 tax return, all the while working abroad for say 2 years would increase my chances to maintain my PR status? Or could I still lose it?
Nothing is guaranteed, believe it helps if you are working for a US Employer.

Assume thgat you will be making trips back and forth.

Worst case scenario is that you get to plead your position in front of an Immigration Judge.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:31 pm
DJA
Just Joined

DJA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Nothing is guaranteed, believe it helps if you are working for a US Employer.

Assume thgat you will be making trips back and forth.

Worst case scenario is that you get to plead your position in front of an Immigration Judge.
You can file N-470 (Application to preserve residence for naturalization purposes) and also a re-entry permit. You can look into the eligibility requirements for N-470. You will run into problems at the time of naturalization if you come back to US for short duration every 4-5 months. That will not preserve you continuous residence and will reset your clock for citizenship.