Green Card or Go Home...

Old May 10th 2017, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card or Go Home...

Originally Posted by Vicious B
Thanks everyone. I just get the feeling they all think it's too much hassle & I want it so I can switch companies - my boss told me they know I can't leave with the current visa - so they have me over a barrel (wasn't quite what I needed to hear, but it was said off the record).
Anyway, i'm going to give it one more try and see what they say and if not, will continue to look back in Europe/ UK.
Well I mean...they aren't wrong in doing this. Everyone in my old company (present company included) jumped ship within a year of sponsoring the GC. They're just good at calling it out
Old May 11th 2017, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Doubledave is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone. I just get the feeling they all think it's too much hassle & I want it so I can switch companies - my boss told me they know I can't leave with the current visa - so they have me over a barrel (wasn't quite what I needed to hear, but it was said off the record).
Anyway, i'm going to give it one more try and see what they say and if not, will continue to look back in Europe/ UK.
Give it to them like that: You need to assist, or I need to plan for the future.

if they do nothing, you can only stay for a max of 7 years on an L1A, at which time you'll probably be quite settled. And they'll need to renew the L1 every couple years odd anyway right? Don't let them mess you around - girl needs security.
Old May 11th 2017, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

gtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't you have some sort of condition applied to the GC application through the company where you sign something that says you'll stay with them for X amount of time or you'll pay the (known) administration costs or fees that were incurred to secure the GC if you decide to jump ship?
Old May 12th 2017, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

PeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond reputePeterFrank has a reputation beyond repute

You are in a poor situation and I was in the same. I didn't have to do much arm twisting but I had to do some. My biggest leverage was threatening to leave. If they didn't play ball I would have left. Living on a visa is no life. Its fine for 1-2 years of fun but no more.

I think you need to lay it on the line after a period of negotiating nicely. I got my green card after 3 years. 3 more on a visa would have done me in.
Old May 12th 2017, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gtd2000
Couldn't you have some sort of condition applied to the GC application through the company where you sign something that says you'll stay with them for X amount of time or you'll pay the (known) administration costs or fees that were incurred to secure the GC if you decide to jump ship?
That is what I did.

My company estimated the cost of the GC at $15k, and the agreement is that if I leave within 12 months of receiving it then I have to pay back the money, if I leave within 24 months then I pay back half. After that I'm free to do as I please.

Plus if I did get offered a good job soon after getting my GC, I would just include the buy-out of my liability as part of my package negotiations.
Old May 12th 2017, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
That is what I did.

My company estimated the cost of the GC at $15k, and the agreement is that if I leave within 12 months of receiving it then I have to pay back the money, if I leave within 24 months then I pay back half. After that I'm free to do as I please.

Plus if I did get offered a good job soon after getting my GC, I would just include the buy-out of my liability as part of my package negotiations.
My company had it as a "thanks" for uprooting your family to the US with zero conditions. It meant that 60 or 70% of people that got the GC jumped ship pretty soon after getting it.

I was around 6 months after, with zero financial repercussions.
Old May 12th 2017, 5:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

This is a pretty universal concern. Certainly our company had us sign a contract which said that if my OH left the company within 2 years of green card then we would have to repay all the costs. The amount was a sliding scale with 100% of costs to be repaid for the first 3 months going down to 0 at 24 months. You could suggest this if you really think their fear of you switching companies is holding them back.
Old May 12th 2017, 8:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
This is a pretty universal concern. Certainly our company had us sign a contract which said that if my OH left the company within 2 years of green card then we would have to repay all the costs. The amount was a sliding scale with 100% of costs to be repaid for the first 3 months going down to 0 at 24 months. You could suggest this if you really think their fear of you switching companies is holding them back.
The irony is that a good employee will often be able to negotiate a signing bonus with a new employer to pay off the GC cost, just like cell phone companies routinely pay to buy out a contract with a competitor when someone wants to switch to a different carrier, and the cost of a green card, even including lawyers fees, doesn't amount to a whole hill of beans.

One of my colleagues was tied to a previous employer by a similar set of financial handcuffs, for the cost of the bar exams, and when he was offered a job with our employer, he was a good enough prospect that they were willing to pay the penalty for him, which was well into five figures!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 12th 2017 at 8:50 pm.
Old May 12th 2017, 9:30 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The irony is that a good employee will often be able to negotiate a signing bonus with a new employer to pay off the GC cost, just like cell phone companies routinely pay to buy out a contract with a competitor when someone wants to switch to a different carrier, and the cost of a green card, even including lawyers fees, doesn't amount to a whole hill of beans.

One of my colleagues was tied to a previous employer by a similar set of financial handcuffs, for the cost of the bar exams, and when he was offered a job with our employer, he was a good enough prospect that they were willing to pay the penalty for him, which was well into five figures!
yes, that's happened to quite a few of our friends too, but usually they don't leave before the 2 years.
Old May 13th 2017, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone. So latest news from HR... they want me to pay for my trip home to sort out the L1 renewal!! Isn't that just a joke!

I'm over it all, the fact they don't want to help with the GC and now this; makes me want to tell them to poke it (obviously not before finding another job).

I am a little nervous about going home (Brexit repercussions etc) but I can't be any worse off than I am here!
Old May 14th 2017, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. So latest news from HR... they want me to pay for my trip home to sort out the L1 renewal!! Isn't that just a joke!

I'm over it all, the fact they don't want to help with the GC and now this; makes me want to tell them to poke it (obviously not before finding another job).

I am a little nervous about going home (Brexit repercussions etc) but I can't be any worse off than I am here!
Onwards and upwards. Although perhaps giving them an ultimatum may make them reconsider.

Best of luck.
Old May 14th 2017, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Doubledave;12250451]Give it to them like that: You need to assist, or I need to plan for the future.

I do understand your situation - I left my previous job in the Middle East partly because of the "roots" issue, though different context as there are no Green Cards, permanent residence or pathway to citizenship etc there, so nothing anyone can do.

I agree with other posters that you should probably be planning to give them an ultimatum - Green Card or I Go Home as the title of your thread indicates. Stress that you will stay long-term with the company with a Green Card.

Psychologically prepare yourself, extensively, for the possibility that their response might be to wish you a pleasant flight back to the UK.
Old May 14th 2017, 3:22 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

I do understand your situation - I left my previous job in the Middle East partly because of the "roots" issue, though different context as there are no Green Cards, permanent residence or pathway to citizenship etc there, so nothing anyone can do.

I agree with other posters that you should probably be planning to give them an ultimatum - Green Card or I Go Home as the title of your thread indicates. Stress that you will stay long-term with the company with a Green Card.

Psychologically prepare yourself, extensively, for the possibility that their response might be to wish you a pleasant flight back to the UK.
Don't you think that making the OP foot the expenses for her renewal could be construed as a big hint that the green card sponsorship ain't going to happen? Good luck moving forward with the next stage of your life, OP.

Last edited by Nutmegger; May 14th 2017 at 3:24 am.
Old May 14th 2017, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Nutmegger;12252210]Don't you think that making the OP foot the expenses for her renewal could be construed as a big hint that the green card sponsorship ain't going to happen?

Yes, but I tried to be diplomatic about it in my post (see the last line I wrote above).
Old May 14th 2017, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Vicious B will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Don't you think that making the OP foot the expenses for her renewal could be construed as a big hint that the green card sponsorship ain't going to happen? Good luck moving forward with the next stage of your life, OP.
It would seem that way. I'm going to keep my head down till another role comes forward in the UK and then tell them to stick it.

I am quite gutted actually, as i've worked my whole career with this company in different locations around the world - not that its done me any favours salary wise (but that's another story completely). I have come to realise that working at HQ, you really are just a number! oh well...onwards and upwards!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.