Green card expiration

Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

gazolba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card expiration

I've been in the US since 1979 and have had my green card for a long time (some time in the 80's) . I'm married to a US citizen and have 2 US citizen children. My green card has no expiration date, but I heard they are being 'expired' anyway and there is a substantial fee to renew it. Can I apply to become a US citizen with my current green card or must I get a new green card and then apply for citizenship which will cost a lot more money?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card expiration

Originally Posted by gazolba
Can I apply to become a US citizen with my current green card...
Yes.

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2008, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Green card expiration

Originally Posted by gazolba
I've been in the US since 1979 and have had my green card for a long time (some time in the 80's) . I'm married to a US citizen and have 2 US citizen children. My green card has no expiration date, but I heard they are being 'expired' anyway and there is a substantial fee to renew it. Can I apply to become a US citizen with my current green card or must I get a new green card and then apply for citizenship which will cost a lot more money?
Hi:

The requirement for replacement of the old I-551 cards is not in place yet. But it will happen -- exactly when we do not know. [My browser has just decided that apostrophes are not to be permitted but to be a "quick search" function key, so bear with me].

In the mid 1990 s, a similar program took place for the old I-151 cards. At that time, the former INS would treat an N-400 receipt as proof of valid LPR status. I do not know what they will do now.