Green Card/Diversity Visa

Old May 4th 2014, 4:25 am
Just Joined

simhar1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card/Diversity Visa

Hi All,

My fiancé has been successful in getting selected for the diversity visa but I have some questions in regards to how it will work as we are not yet married. When he applied he put unmarried as that was true at the time and we had planned to have our wedding next year but now it seems that it would be advisable to have it sooner before he goes for his interview at the consulate so that I can be added to his application.

Can anyone please advise what would be the best thing to do here? Our marriage is not in order to get a greencard as it was already planned (we have been together for 4.5 years) but we would really like to be able to go to the US together.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old May 4th 2014, 5:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card/Diversity Visa

Originally Posted by simhar1234
... now it seems that it would be advisable to have it sooner before he goes for his interview at the consulate so that I can be added to his application.
I believe this is correct. However, if for some reason you don't get married prior to his interview, you can still get to the US about 10-12 months after him. I realize this isn't ideal, but it's your fall back position just in case. One way or the other, if he is successful... so will you be.

I'm sure someone will be along to correct me if I haven't got this right.

Ian
Old May 4th 2014, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for your reply Ian.

Do you know how much are we required to have as our evidence of support? Neither of us have any relatives or friends in the US or any job currently lined up.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 4th 2014, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

superkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond reputesuperkruz has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone please advise what would be the best thing to do here?
The best would be to get married before he attends the visa interview. Note that there is no need to rush in submitting the forms as processing will only start in October - take your time and consider carefully how you will complete the forms. You could even consider getting married (legally) soon without having a wedding ceremony (and have a ceremony later), which will allow him to complete the forms as a married person with you as his derivative.

Our marriage is not in order to get a greencard as it was already planned (we have been together for 4.5 years) but we would really like to be able to go to the US together.
Many people change their plans as soon as one gets selected in the DV lottery - this is not uncommon and you have nothing to worry about if you do decide to bring your marriage date forward so that you can both get immigrant visas.
Old May 4th 2014, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by superkruz
The best would be to get married before he attends the visa interview. Note that there is no need to rush in submitting the forms as processing will only start in October - take your time and consider carefully how you will complete the forms. You could even consider getting married (legally) soon without having a wedding ceremony (and have a ceremony later), which will allow him to complete the forms as a married person with you as his derivative.

Many people change their plans as soon as one gets selected in the DV lottery - this is not uncommon and you have nothing to worry about if you do decide to bring your marriage date forward so that you can both get immigrant visas.
I agree with everything you've written.

Ian
Old May 5th 2014, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Thank you