Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green Card background check process.

Green Card background check process.

Old Mar 1st 2019, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Flaura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card background check process.

Hello there.
First things first: I already have my visa and have never had any dealings of any description with police in either uk or us... so this will make for a pretty boring reading for some.

I already live in US on a 5 year work visa and my company are well under way with the GC application! (Yay me!) I understand this could be a lengthy process, we’re already 1 year in and I’m starting to get a little impatient and have all these daft questions and wonderings on how long this is all going to take.
I’ve been doing lots of reading online about people’s experiences and many are reporting about being ‘stuck’ at background check stage and that it’s taken them a long time to proceed. This is at total odds with my Visa experience (2015) in London, it all happened quickly and smoothly!
So my question; is it simply the sheer volume of GC applicants that slows the background check part of the process down? Or is it the GC vetting procedure itself? is it different/more in depth than the Visa process? (Though id find the latter odd, because regardless of Visa or GC they’re permitting the person to live in US therefore you’d like to think the exact same level/policy/procedure/intelligence would be applied regardless🤷🏼‍♀️?)
has anyone recently been through this and can tell me how long their process took?
I know this must seem like late night ramblings and not very significant, but I’m engulfed in the process I felt I would ask the question and see if anyone knows or has any experience? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Thanks
Old Mar 1st 2019, 5:50 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card background check process.

Welcome.
The background process for GC processing is likely more thorough than it is for a nonimmigrant Visa, although that in itself is still thorough. Remember you are requesting a much larger immigration benefit that will give you a whole host of new rights that you don't currently have on a work visa. Secondly, the processes the London Visa office take for background check are not necessarily the same as a background check done by DHS/USCIS inside the US, and now they have to also consider your new 'background' that exists as you have lived in the USA for some time. Also, it just simply does vary. Sometimes the background check 'queue' is longer, sometimes it's shorter. Other things like government shutdowns may indirectly impact this process too. The office that is processing your application will also be a factor. So many variables -- It will take the time it takes. Have you received your Advance Parole/Employment authorization yet (presuming you applied for it)?
Old Mar 1st 2019, 10:14 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It's nothing to do with the background check itself, and more to do with the growing backlogs of applications since the Trump came into office. Nearly all processing times, for all application types, are sliding backwards at a pretty fast rate.
Old Mar 1st 2019, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Welcome Flaura
It will be helpful to clarify what this means
my company are well under way with the GC application

For example : what stage are you at and what category are you going in as