Wikiposts

Green Card & B2 Visa Question.

Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:01 am
Just Joined

MikeAndVaida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green Card & B2 Visa Question.

Hello there, i am a Green Card holder currently outside the USA in the United Kingdom, I have been here since April currently in an apartment with my girlfriend here, I have been working and seeking to study which was not possible as studies i wanted to do were not available to me, I then started working to gain enough money to return but i am going to enter the USA and return back with a re - entry permit.

I am going to be flying over in November but this will mean i will be outside the USA for 7 months, My concern is what i have been told and that is the following, If i stay outside the USA less than a year i won't have a problem but if i go longer than a year i can almost guarantee my green card being revoked, I am 17 years of age and do not want it revoked, I Also was told something about being outside the country less than 6 months but i'm not completely sure how it is going to go with me.

Another thing is i applied for a B2 visa for my girlfriend to come over with me as she is Lithuanian and cannot travel visa free, I am concerned for her because i want her to definitely get the visa, Only problem is she currently is not working or studying, She attempted to study but also could not get the correct course as she was going to study the same as me. However information she will have to take to the embassy would be her UK residency document, Passport, Name on lease of apartment and that's pretty much it.

We are going to go over for 2 weeks and be there for thanks giving, I don't know if this will raise the chances of getting the visa because of the holiday, I was also told her age may be in favor as she is also 17.

Any replies much appreciated thank you.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card & B2 Visa Question.

I read your other thread and this just has 'problem' written all over it.

Is she allowed to travel without parental consent since she is under 18? She is not an adult in USlandia.
Where is her family?

How long have you been a PR? Are you or your mother planning on applying for US citizenship?

What have you done to show that the US is still your primary home?
What will you do if she does not get the visa?

There's really just a lot of questions.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I re-read your other thread, and seems like not much has changed since then. At least your girlfriend is trying for the B visa, but there is never a guarantee that she'll get it. You can say you definitely want her to get it, but just be prepared in case she doesn't. It's really up to the consular officer to approve it or not.

As for yourself, as long as you can prove you had good reason to be outside the USA for 7 months, you *should* be OK returning. Bring documents from school which show you were attending during those months. Bring documents that show you maintained ties to the USA while you were gone.

And yes, apply for a re-entry permit *before* leaving the USA again.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I re-read your other thread, and seems like not much has changed since then. At least your girlfriend is trying for the B visa, but there is never a guarantee that she'll get it. You can say you definitely want her to get it, but just be prepared in case she doesn't. It's really up to the consular officer to approve it or not.

As for yourself, as long as you can prove you had good reason to be outside the USA for 7 months, you *should* be OK returning. Bring documents from school which show you were attending during those months. Bring documents that show you maintained ties to the USA while you were gone.

And yes, apply for a re-entry permit *before* leaving the USA again.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thank you, Its not that much of a problem its all pretty straight foreward, We want to visit my mom for 2 weeks, Her Mom and her Dad live here, and are working, She does not live with them, Will she still require a letter from them? My mother does intend to apply for citizenship, When i stayed out of the USA for 4 months before, I told Immigration at POE i was gone for 4 months, I was enrolled in education here in the UK and they didn't want any paperwork showing this they just took my word, Made the stamp, And away i went.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeAndVaida
Thank you, Its not that much of a problem its all pretty straight foreward, We want to visit my mom for 2 weeks, Her Mom and her Dad live here, and are working, She does not live with them, Will she still require a letter from them?
17 is still underage in the USA. Might be a good idea to have something in writing stating she has her parents' permission to travel abroad.

My mother does intend to apply for citizenship, When i stayed out of the USA for 4 months before, I told Immigration at POE i was gone for 4 months, I was enrolled in education here in the UK and they didn't want any paperwork showing this they just took my word, Made the stamp, And away i went.
Each entry at the POE is independent of any previous entry. You were only gone 4 months before, this time 7 months. This is your second trip back to the USA. Better to bring the proof in case you are asked, than not to have it.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:03 am
Just Joined

17 is still underage in the USA. Might be a good idea to have something in writing stating she has her parents' permission to travel abroad.

Each entry at the POE is independent of any previous entry. You were only gone 4 months before, this time 7 months. This is your second trip back to the USA. Better to bring the proof in case you are asked, than not to have it.

Rene
Yes, we can get the letter from them, If needed, Also as far as money and payment for trip i will be paying for it with my wages but my grandfather will more than likely use his Credit Card to do it.. And my Step-Father and Mother in the USA will support us with place to stay, food.. etc.. Will i need a letter from my step dad satating this well?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:05 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Further incidental info for you.

You will have reset your "naturalization clock" back to another five years unless your parents naturalize before you turn 18.

Don't forget to register for Selective Service when you turn 18, otherwise this will further turn the clock back.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:07 am

Yes, we can get the letter from them, If needed, Also as far as money and payment for trip i will be paying for it with my wages but my grandfather will more than likely use his Credit Card to do it.. And my Step-Father and Mother in the USA will support us with place to stay, food.. etc.. Will i need a letter from my step dad satating this well?
I believe she will need to show how she intends to cover the cost of staying in the USA, yes.

However, as it has been stated before, the fact that her boyfriend's family is in the USA might work against her. That was all covered in your previous thread.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:17 am
Just Joined

I believe she will need to show how she intends to cover the cost of staying in the USA, yes.

However, as it has been stated before, the fact that her boyfriend's family is in the USA might work against her. That was all covered in your previous thread.

Rene
Technically i'm living over here in the UK and intend to stay here for sometime, That is why i will go back and apply for a re-entry permit to stable thigns a bit, I know they say to take as much evidence as possible, Is there any point in me writing a letter stating my intentions or anything like that? Because i can only see the reason her getting refused is because of what you stated about my family being there, But she has never visited USA before, She does not know what its like, And i am not going to even be there, Also we have a tennancy here for our apartment.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:22 am

Technically i'm living over here in the UK and intend to stay here for sometime, That is why i will go back and apply for a re-entry permit to stable thigns a bit, I know they say to take as much evidence as possible, Is there any point in me writing a letter stating my intentions or anything like that? Because i can only see the reason her getting refused is because of what you stated about my family being there, But she has never visited USA before, She does not know what its like, And i am not going to even be there, Also we have a tennancy here for our apartment.
What do you mean you're not even going to be there? I thought the whole point was that you are going over together to see your family over Thanksgiving?

You have 2 issues:

1) your staying outside the USA: Just bring proof of why you have been outside the USA for 7 months, in case they ask at the POE. Bring proof that you still have ties to the USA, in case they ask. Get a re-entry permit while you're in the USA, so you don't have to worry about this in the future for a while.

2) Your girlfriend's tourist visa: Bring everything she needs to show strong ties to the UK, and present it if asked at her visa interview, to show that she does not have immigrant intent to the USA.

You sound like you want some guarantees, and there aren't any. Just present all the proof you can, and hope for the best.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:25 am
Just Joined

What do you mean you're not even going to be there? I thought the whole point was that you are going over together to see your family over Thanksgiving?

You have 2 issues:

1) your staying outside the USA: Just bring proof of why you have been outside the USA for 7 months, in case they ask at the POE. Bring proof that you still have ties to the USA, in case they ask. Get a re-entry permit while you're in the USA, so you don't have to worry about this in the future for a while.

2) Your girlfriend's tourist visa: Bring everything she needs to show strong ties to the UK, and present it if asked at her visa interview, to show that she does not have immigrant intent to the USA.

You sound like you want some guarantees, and there aren't any. Just present all the proof you can, and hope for the best.

Rene
Thank you, i meant by me not being there by, Me going back right now to stay and her going with me to visit that would look more like a problem, But i am also going to visit for thanks giving. She will bacically tell the officer she wants to visit the USA with her boyfriend to meet his family over thanks giving, In your honest opinion does that sound logical?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:36 am

Thank you, i meant by me not being there by, Me going back right now to stay and her going with me to visit that would look more like a problem, But i am also going to visit for thanks giving. She will bacically tell the officer she wants to visit the USA with her boyfriend to meet his family over thanks giving, In your honest opinion does that sound logical?
It sounds logical to me, but I'm not the officer giving her a visa. It's just all up to him, really. Just present the required evidence and tell the truth, that's all you can do.

Rene
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Further incidental info for you.

You will have reset your "naturalization clock" back to another five years unless your parents naturalize before you turn 18.

Don't forget to register for Selective Service when you turn 18, otherwise this will further turn the clock back.
I was sorta hoping to get at that.. maybe he should get back to the US before he's got the 6 months out. Naturalize off of mummy and then he wouldn't have to worry about any of this.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:26 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I was sorta hoping to get at that.. maybe he should get back to the US before he's got the 6 months out. Naturalize off of mummy and then he wouldn't have to worry about any of this.
My personal prediction is that his PR will disappear in the near future, and then he won't have the option of living here. Seen exactly the same happen with friends, though this time a daughter. Disappeared back to homeland while parents and her still on GC, fell in love etc. Couple of years down the road, decided she wanted to return to the US (she was educated from the age of 11 here). Of course, not exactly a viable, short-term option for a married, over-21 alien -- much to her total surprise. But there you go...
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:34 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My personal prediction is that his PR will disappear in the near future, and then he won't have the option of living here. Seen exactly the same happen with friends, though this time a daughter. Disappeared back to homeland while parents and her still on GC, fell in love etc. Couple of years down the road, decided she wanted to return to the US (she was educated from the age of 11 here). Of course, not exactly a viable, short-term option for a married, over-21 alien -- much to her total surprise. But there you go...
So what's the deal with going to live somewhere else once you're a GC holder? Might sound a bit dim here, but am I to understand that if I were to go live in the UK or possibly somewhere else for (say) three years after which I wanted to come back here to live I would have trouble getting a GC again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.