Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Green Card Approved! But here's an interesting thing...

Green Card Approved! But here's an interesting thing...

Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Green Card Approved! But here's an interesting thing...

We had our AOS interview on friday (sorry for delayed update!) and got approved for our green cards (myself and my 2 boys) so thats good - didnt need to show any relationship evidence, just our birth certificates again, marriage cert, and had a chat with the guy about soccer, my hubby's job, and how we met BUT! I was telling him about what a nightmare it was coming back into US using the new card style EAD / AP all-in-one card thingy, and he saaaiiiddddd.....
"Oh, well of course those who enter on a K1 don't need AP technically... you would be allowed back in with no problems with your K1 visa. Its only people who arrive here by some other visa and then try to adjust status, that need AP during the process"

Umm..... now i know better than to trust the say-so of one immigration dude... but wow, i wonder if there's any truth in that, and K1's really don't need the AP to travel during their AOS??

Aaaanyway, waiting on my GC now.... hope they dont take long to come!

Maddy
xx
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Approved! But here's an interesting thing...

Originally Posted by Madelina
We had our AOS interview on friday (sorry for delayed update!) and got approved for our green cards (myself and my 2 boys) so thats good
Congratulations!

"Oh, well of course those who enter on a K1 don't need AP technically... you would be allowed back in with no problems with your K1 visa. Its only people who arrive here by some other visa and then try to adjust status, that need AP during the process"

Umm..... now i know better than to trust the say-so of one immigration dude... but wow, i wonder if there's any truth in that, and K1's really don't need the AP to travel during their AOS??
To my knowledge, that is incorrect. K-1's need AP. K-3's do not.

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

He basically said that as i was doing things "the right way", i would have had no trouble, but people who try to get here under false pretenses then go through the Adjustment process, do need the AP to travel... seems this guy was pretty bitter about those folks who enter on VWP then adjust... kept telling us we did things right, and we made his job easier Yay us!

But you're very right... one man's truth is another man's BS as far as immigration goes... i know better than to take his word as law interesting though! Given that we were treated almost like criminals, getting into Boston with our AP cards, i wonder how we'd have fared with no AP whatsoever....
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

He basically said that as i was doing things "the right way", i would have had no trouble, but people who try to get here under false pretenses then go through the Adjustment process, do need the AP to travel... seems this guy was pretty bitter about those folks who enter on VWP then adjust... kept telling us we did things right, and we made his job easier Yay us!
To me, that sounds even more wrong.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

, i wonder how we'd have fared with no AP whatsoever....
You would not have been admitted.

I think CIS people often get baffled at the K-1/K-3 thing, even after all these years (probably because they are unusual).

K-3s do not need the AP document. Everyone else pretty much does. Certainly K-1s do.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:49 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, K1 only permits you one entry into the US. They pointed that out to me three times when I arrived on mine to make sure I understood. The visa actually says this on it as well if I remember correctly.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the approval
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:06 am
N.Ireland / NJ

Chrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud of

Congratulations on the GC!!!

The info made me laugh I dont know who trains these guys!!!!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

We had our AOS interview on friday (sorry for delayed update!) and got approved for our green cards (myself and my 2 boys) so thats good - didnt need to show any relationship evidence, just our birth certificates again, marriage cert, and had a chat with the guy about soccer, my hubby's job, and how we met BUT! I was telling him about what a nightmare it was coming back into US using the new card style EAD / AP all-in-one card thingy, and he saaaiiiddddd....."Oh, well of course those who enter on a K1 don't need AP technically... you would be allowed back in with no problems with your K1 visa. Its only people who arrive here by some other visa and then try to adjust status, that need AP during the process"

Aaaanyway, waiting on my GC now.... hope they dont take long to come!

Maddy
xx
Congrats on your green card. If you have a mo could you please let us know why it was a nightmare coming back into the US on the new EAD/AP card? Im hoping to get mine soon - and use it for a trip back to UK,,,thanks!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:18 am
N.Ireland / NJ

Chrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud ofChrissie85 has much to be proud of

CAdreaming I sent you a PM about my experience with the card!

Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissie85
CAdreaming I sent you a PM about my experience with the card!

Thank you - really helpful!!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

ken27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chrissie85, would you mind sending that PM to me too? I'm awaiting my EAD/AP card now and will be using it to travel to/from Ireland in the autumn.

Thanks,
Ken
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I sent you a PM about my experience with the card!
If it's not too personal, why not just share your experience in the forum... and then we'll all know!

Ian
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:51 am
N.Ireland / NJ

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If it's not too personal, why not just share your experience in the forum... and then we'll all know!

Ian

Sure I was actually just giving some support with a little info but here is my experience with the combo card in EWR.

I arrive after I took my first trip home to N.Ireland. I had got one of the new cards the 'combo' card!

When I landed I got in the US citizen side as instructed by the red coat there and when I got to the desk and CBP officer he looked at my passport and then looked at the card and said 'Whats this? where is your parole letter?'

I explained and pointed out the AP on the bottom of the card and I had actually carried the letter and small information sheet which had come with the card, so I gave those to him and he looked as if I had just given him the info written in a language he had never saw before!

Since I work there I did some general chat with hi and he said he had never saw this combo card thing before and had never even heard of it, he thought if looked real but didnt seem to have the information on it that they are told to review.

So of course as I expected anyway....secondary it was. It was pretty busy but I know one of the guys there so he bumped me up to be the next person in line

This didnt really seem to matter anyway as I was there for just over 2 hours and had about 6 different officers look and discuss the card and what it was etc!
Then 2 guys in very suits arrived with the supervisor and the Supervisor finally said, 'Yeah this is fine, there should have been a memo put out about this a while ago. Its the new card and we will be seeing a lot more of these from now on! Process her and let her go home!'

The officer called me up and joked about how much trouble this little card had caused Yeah your telling me buddy, I only landed here over 2 hours ago and probably have one very confused husband waiting outside for me!! (He wasnt too confused actually because we both have and still work in the airport so we know how this all goes!!)

Anyway, that was back in April and most places by now should know about the combo card! If not, just be prepared with a good book and a bottle of water, because the AC is awful in almost all airports when your sitting waiting a while!!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Sure I was actually just giving some support with a little info but here is my experience with the combo card in EWR.

I arrive after I took my first trip home to N.Ireland. I had got one of the new cards the 'combo' card!

When I landed I got in the US citizen side as instructed by the red coat there and when I got to the desk and CBP officer he looked at my passport and then looked at the card and said 'Whats this? where is your parole letter?'

I explained and pointed out the AP on the bottom of the card and I had actually carried the letter and small information sheet which had come with the card, so I gave those to him and he looked as if I had just given him the info written in a language he had never saw before!

Since I work there I did some general chat with hi and he said he had never saw this combo card thing before and had never even heard of it, he thought if looked real but didnt seem to have the information on it that they are told to review.

So of course as I expected anyway....secondary it was. It was pretty busy but I know one of the guys there so he bumped me up to be the next person in line

This didnt really seem to matter anyway as I was there for just over 2 hours and had about 6 different officers look and discuss the card and what it was etc!
Then 2 guys in very suits arrived with the supervisor and the Supervisor finally said, 'Yeah this is fine, there should have been a memo put out about this a while ago. Its the new card and we will be seeing a lot more of these from now on! Process her and let her go home!'

The officer called me up and joked about how much trouble this little card had caused Yeah your telling me buddy, I only landed here over 2 hours ago and probably have one very confused husband waiting outside for me!! (He wasnt too confused actually because we both have and still work in the airport so we know how this all goes!!)

Anyway, that was back in April and most places by now should know about the combo card! If not, just be prepared with a good book and a bottle of water, because the AC is awful in almost all airports when your sitting waiting a while!!
thank you again - im sure others will also find this really useful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.