Green Card Application

Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

bostonbound will become famous soon enough
Default Green Card Application

Phew! What a hefty load of documents it requires! Obviously I'm very grateful for this opportunity but if there's any one thing I'm crap at it's filing and it might take me some time to sort this lot out!

Something they're asking for is Documentation of Prior US Immigration Status, ie my Employment Authorization Card. Do I really have to submit this after only just receiving it?!!! I waited almost 3 months for this baby and now have to give it up?!

Anyway, here's to the start of a new journey! Now, where's that bottle of wine....
Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Card Application

Originally Posted by bostonbound
Phew! What a hefty load of documents it requires! Obviously I'm very grateful for this opportunity but if there's any one thing I'm crap at it's filing and it might take me some time to sort this lot out!

Something they're asking for is Documentation of Prior US Immigration Status, ie my Employment Authorization Card. Do I really have to submit this after only just receiving it?!!! I waited almost 3 months for this baby and now have to give it up?!

Anyway, here's to the start of a new journey! Now, where's that bottle of wine....
Are you filing based on marriage to a USC, or is your work sponsoring your green card?

What form exactly is asking for documentation of prior US Immigration Status?

Your EAD isn't proof of your Immigration Status, anyway.

I don't believe they are asking for any items back, just a photocopy will do.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

lonestargirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your EAD isn't proof of your Immigration Status, anyway.
Interesting, on the letter I got with my EAD it said that it was proof of my legal status?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonestargirl
Interesting, on the letter I got with my EAD it said that it was proof of my legal status?
What are the answers to my other questions?

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

bostonbound will become famous soon enough

It is my husband's company that is sponsoring us - he is on L1 and kids and I on L2.

This is what was in the letter from the solicitors:

" Documentation of Prior U.S. Immigration Status. Please send us all documentation of each applicant’s nonimmigrant status. You should include all Forms I-797, Forms I-20, Forms DS-2019, employment authorization cards, and any other relevant USCIS documents."
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:42 pm

It is my husband's company that is sponsoring us - he is on L1 and kids and I on L2.

" Documentation of Prior U.S. Immigration Status. Please send us all documentation of each applicant’s nonimmigrant status. You should include all Forms I-797, Forms I-20, Forms DS-2019, employment authorization cards, and any other relevant USCIS documents."
OK, the actual documentation of your current non-immigrant status is your L-2 visa.

They included the EAD in that paragraph, but it's not actually documentation of your status...it only shows you have permission to work in the USA.

Rene
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

" Documentation of PriorU.S. Immigration Status. Please send us all documentation of each applicant’s nonimmigrant status. You should include all Forms I-797, Forms I-20, Forms DS-2019, employment authorization cards, and any other relevant USCIS documents."
Are they not looking for PRIOR US Immigration Status. Your L2 is your CURRENT US Immigration Status.

That is how I read it anyways
Old Oct 28th 2010, 5:58 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Page 2 of the I-140 asks for your current status, and page 2 of the I-485 asks for details of your current visa (as you have to be in the US for AOS) and if you have ever applied for permanent resident status before and the outcome. I sent all copies of previous documents I had (a different lawyer was used for my L1-A) and they also asked for a copy of EVERY page of my passport (all 48 of them, most blank).

I have only ever sent COPIES of anything to the lawyers... I would double check they want originals and question why if they say they do...

It seems reasonable that they want to understand your complete immigration history to ensure there will be no issue with your application (they can avoid), but should only need copies to do this. I have not submitted originals for anything to USCIS (via the lawyers).

tht

Last edited by tht; Oct 28th 2010 at 6:01 pm.