Green Card

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 5:20 pm
-Lostinspace-

Default Green Card

Hi all,

My wife (US Cit) is in the process of starting a GC application for me. She called
the American Embassy to ask the usual how to do etc questions which seemed fine etc.

Except the rather nice chap told her that once the GC had been granted - we have to
move over the US within 6 months otherwise the GC would be made invalid.

I dont see as it will be a problem, as once we have the GC, we will be selling up and
moving out, it just seemed a little odd that the powers that be have put this time
limitation on.

Old Jul 22nd 2002, 5:20 pm
L D Jones

Default Re: Green Card

-lostINspace- wrote:
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My wife (US Cit) is in the process of starting a GC application for me. She
    > called the American Embassy to ask the usual how to do etc questions which seemed
    > fine etc.
    >
    > Except the rather nice chap told her that once the GC had been granted - we have to
    > move over the US within 6 months otherwise the GC would be made invalid.
    >
    > I dont see as it will be a problem, as once we have the GC, we will be selling up
    > and moving out, it just seemed a little odd that the powers that be have put this
    > time limitation on.

I don't think you will actually get a green card right away. You will receive a visa
to enter the US. Depending on the type of visa you may have to Adjust Status once you
get to the US. It might take many months to receive the actual green card.

Most visas are only valid for 6 months.

What country are you in? What forms have been filed for you? With this and other
details people here can tell you approximately how long it will take for your green
card to arrive.