Green card

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Millcroft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green card

Hi,

I live and work (sub-editor) in the UK, am educated up to degree level (BA), am 21, and would like to live permanently in the US. What chance do I have of obtaining a green card? Any advice would be fantastic! Thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green card

Computer says, 42.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millcroft
Hi,

I live and work (sub-editor) in the UK, am educated up to degree level (BA), am 21, and would like to live permanently in the US. What chance do I have of obtaining a green card? Any advice would be fantastic! Thanks!
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Have a read of this and see which (if any) visa you'd qualify for, then you can come back and ask more specific questions about it.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Millcroft is an unknown quantity at this point

??
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

What chance do I have of obtaining a green card?
You have fuck all chance

Any advice would be fantastic! Thanks!
You're Welcome

Last edited by Manc; Apr 23rd 2009 at 3:31 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

??
We don't have crystal balls.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:25 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
We don't have crystal balls.
Speak for yourself, mine are made of diamond!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Speak for yourself, mine are made of diamond!
Diamonds would be useful.

If you knew any nice young American Ladies.

Actually they do not need to be nice, but you do need to be male.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Apr 23rd 2009 at 4:49 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Without being married to a US citizen or being born in a diversity lottery eligible country, 0 chance. If you are married to a US citizen then it may be as simple as filling a few forms. If you are able to enter the diversity lottery then the chance depends on how many enter.

If neither of those apply then you need to get a visa, comply with the rules of it and if it's the right visa then you may be able to apply for a green card several years down the line. The chances of you getting a visa are low, very low, as they are for almost every other person on the planet.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

MillCroft,

These questions get asked a lot and there is an FAQ which was posted above, so read that first.

My personal advice would to find work with a large US multinational in the UK and then look to get transferred to the US.

I'm not sure what you edit, but if it's magazines/newpapers, there must be lots of US newspapers/magazines that need staff in London?

You didn't get the "Computer says 42?" You'd fit in here wonderfully!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I live and work (sub-editor) in the UK
You need to know that several old and large US daily newspapers just folded due to both the current economic crisis and the ubiquitousness of the Internet.

am educated up to degree level (BA)
You'll be able to join the many thousands of others who have a BA and are out of work. If you want to be taken seriously, get a Masters degree.

am 21
Sadly, this works against you... you have limited experience, and there are thousands of folks in the US who do not need to get a visa to work.

In all honesty, slim to none.

Any advice would be fantastic!
Again, in all honesty, if you want this to happen... go back to school. Either that or find yourself a nice USC to marry.

Ian
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:18 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Diamonds would be useful.

If you knew any nice young American Ladies.

Actually they do not need to be nice, but you do need to be male.
Next time, I'll say neutronium.