grants?

Old Jun 24th 2002, 8:20 pm
Chris Payne

Default grants?

Hi there everyone,

I've been self employed working from home as a web designer/programmer since I became
a permanent resident late last year (As I am disabled and unable to work in most work
places for insurance reasons).

Anyway, I was wondering, are there any grants for permanent residents for helping to
setup your own business here in the USA? (Florida).

I have been working on a formal business plan etc ........ but i'm not sure whether a
PR can get grants or not (Even though the IRS take taxes out of us).

Thanks, any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Regards

Chris Payne

Old Jun 24th 2002, 8:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: grants?

Check with the State government of Florida. New York State has special interest loans for immigrants only as well as almost free for the asking start up money for businesses.

As for your not being insurable, I don't understand that at all. You have a limited sight condition if I remember. There are laws against discrimination of the handicapped and it might be that you fall under such a title. Who has turned you down for employment on those grounds?

Rete
Old Jun 25th 2002, 12:20 am
Chris Payne

Default Re: grants?

Hi there,

Thanks for the info, i'll check into it.

I won't mention the company name, but they are a well known store and I just wanted a
simple job to get me going in the USA - they said they had 5 openings and 3
applications so I would be almost certain to get a position.

However, I know someone who works there and they mentioned to the manager I had eye
trouble and I never heard back after that - sigh. I had the same problems in the UK,
it's because I have RP (Retinitis Pigmentosa) so I have tunnel vision, night
blindness etc ..... nobody wants to take a chance even though I am very qualified
even in office skills and as a web designer/programmer.

Oh well, this is life eh?

Chris

> Check with the State government of Florida. New York State has special interest
    > loans for immigrants only as well as almost free for the asking start up money for
    > businesses.
    >
    > As for your not being insurable, I don't understand that at all. You have a limited
    > sight condition if I remember. There are laws against discrimination of the
    > handicapped and it might be that you fall under such a title. Who has turned you
    > down for employment on those grounds?
    >
    > Rete
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >