Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

graduate looking for work in USA - advice needed

graduate looking for work in USA - advice needed

Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Jenner55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile graduate looking for work in USA - advice needed

Hi,

This summer I will graduate university with a Bachelors in Business Management and Operations. My course was a sandwich course so it included 12 months 'professional training' which I completed in the USA (philadelphia) at an advertising agency. I have also worked in the US twice more as a camp counselour through Camp America. Each time I've worked in the US it has been on a J1 visa.

I have a girlfriend in the states who I have been with for 3 years and many friends I have built up during my time working there. I love the US and want nothing more than to be able to work there as a graduate and set up life there.

I am looking for advice on which visa categories I should pursue. From what I've read h1-b looks possible but quite restricting, what about eb-3? or another j-1? Obviously there is the k-1 but as a 23 year old I'm not sure that marriage is really the right option for me just yet, although if this makes life so much easier, perhaps it's worth it. I'm also a keen entrepreneur - did the eb-6 visa ever materialise?

I'd really appreciate any help that you can offer, there's an ocean of information out there but i'm finding it very difficult to find any. My skills are - a bachelors degree in business, 2 years professional experience (non consecutive) and that's about it on paper.

Many many thanks in advance to any and all who have advice or personal experiences to offer

Nick
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: graduate looking for work in USA - advice needed

Did you enjoy working at the ad agency in Philly? Did they like working with you? Are they prepared to sponsor an H1B visa for you?

That seems your most likely work visa opportunity.

Other than than, marriage.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

They have offered me a job should I want to go back, however I'm hoping to move to Boston this time around, this is where my girlfriend and a number of other good friends are.

Is it fair to say that an h1-b visa is hard to obtain without prior involvement with the company? (e.g. like the situation i am in with the philly ad agency)
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenner55
Is it fair to say that an h1-b visa is hard to obtain without prior involvement with the company? (e.g. like the situation i am in with the philly ad agency)
In your case, I'd say yes. There would most likely be plenty of USCs to fill any position you'd qualify for at the moment, so a company who doesn't know you would most likely prefer not to spend the money on hiring a foreign national.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They have offered me a job should I want to go back, however I'm hoping to move to Boston this time around, this is where my girlfriend and a number of other good friends are.
If they are willing to sponsor your H1B, I say go for it, even if it's not in Boston! You'd be closer to your girlfriend than you are now in the UK, and there's always long holiday weekends to go visit your friends (or have them come visit you).

This opportunity won't come around very easily, so grab it while you can.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene. I appreciate the advice. If I were to spend a month or so as a tourist trying to network my way infront of a few of the right people, would I then have to leave the country before applying for a visa? (and can I only get an h1-b once a year, in April?!)

I've thought about heading back to Philly but I don't think I can compromise being in Boston. I think if it came to it I'd probably pursue the K-1 if no other options were available to get there, just seems a shame to be forced into such a big move!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 4:55 pm

Thanks Rene. I appreciate the advice. If I were to spend a month or so as a tourist trying to network my way infront of a few of the right people, would I then have to leave the country before applying for a visa?
Yes. A visa cannot be obtained from within the USA.

(and can I only get an h1-b once a year, in April?!)
For the nature of your employment, probably. Some employers are not limited to that date, but those are educational institutions and non-profit organizations.

I've thought about heading back to Philly but I don't think I can compromise being in Boston. I think if it came to it I'd probably pursue the K-1 if no other options were available to get there, just seems a shame to be forced into such a big move!
If you truly aren't ready to get married, don't pursue a marriage-based visa. It will be too stressful. However, if you DO feel ready for marriage, don't think of it as being forced into getting married, think of it as the means to be able to live together on the same continent.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for all your help.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:17 pm

(and can I only get an h1-b once a year, in April?!)
Just to clarify, the first day your employer can file the petition towards your H1B is April 1 of each year. If you are successful in getting the H1B, your start date would be in October that year.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

wow. they certainly don't want to make it easy do they!

Do you know if they did create the eb-6 (or entrepreneur visa)? From what I read it was being debated and the requirements included the need to raise a minimum of 250K from VCs or angel investors, then within 2 years the company would need to either employ 5 or more people, raise a further 1 million in investment capital or turnover 1 million USD. Whilst this perhaps sounds a little lofty, it would be a really great option for me.

Does this/a similar visa exist?
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:26 pm

wow. they certainly don't want to make it easy do they!
Actually, I think the H1B is one of the easier visas to handle (apart from finding an employer willing to sponsor you). Most of the work is done by the employer...all you have to do is basically show up at an interview appointment and confirm everything to get the visa!

Does this/a similar visa exist?
Sorry, I don't know much about the investment visas. Hopefully someone can come along to enlighten you.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

If you are thinking about an investment visa... you can try this:

Find a US citizen to be your business partner, start a company, have the company sponsor your H1b.

Cheers!
Chris
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Chris, that sounds like a really interesting option and one I'll look into further.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisdc
Find a US citizen to be your business partner, start a company, have the company sponsor your H1b.
It looks so easy when you write it... but the reality is that the company itself must qualify to be able to hire an H-1B, the job itself must require a Bachelor's degree, and the person filling the position must also have at least a Bachelor's degree. Not only that, but if the company qualifies, there is a period of time when they must advertise locally to fill the position... and only then, will they be given permission to seek help from outside the US.

Ian