Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Got my Visa.....questions about moving dates etc

Got my Visa.....questions about moving dates etc

Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Location: Dallas Texas...a few miles away from the Black Country
Ringside is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got my Visa.....questions about moving dates etc

Hello all,

First post here and all that. Looks like a good forum.

My question is this: I have my Visa and can move at any time now. I have until the 6 month 'moving period' has expired. Now prior to getting the Visa my wife and I had booked a trip to the US to spend Christmas with her parents, due to return to the UK half way through January.

Am I right in thinking I have 6 months to get myself through a US port as to finalize the paperwork then I can travel back as planned in Jan to finish up with out moving plans etc.

I'm worried that I'm expected to pass through a US port then have to stay for a specified amount of time when I could really do with coming home for another couple of months then returning to stay afterwards.

Hope this post is clear.

Thank you.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my Visa.....questions about moving dates etc

Your post was indeed clear. You have no apparent problems going by what you've said. I presume it's an IR-1 or CR-1 visa based on your marriage to a USC (although the type of visa isn't really relevant to your question).

After endorsement of the visa at the POE in January, you are actually able to turn right around and get on the next plane home. There is no 'minimum stay' length.

One thing to mention is that after returning to the UK after your January trip, you should make sure that you re-enter the US within 6 months, to be hassle free. Strictly speaking you can take up to a year to re-enter, but between 6 and 12 months you are likely to be questioned a lot harder regarding potential 'abandonment of green card' so best not to go down that road. If you think you may be out for longer than 6 months and definitely if you will be out for more than 12 months, you should apply for a re-entry permit, which gives you up to two years to re-enter. You must apply for the re-entry permit whilst physically in the US. As you are only in the US for a short time, get someone to monitor the mailbox where your mail will be delivered in the US and send the green card, SSN and re-entry permit to you in the UK then you have them all to hand.

If as you say you are definitely only going to be out for a couple of months then there's no problem and you don't need the re-entry permit.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Oct 12th 2008 at 9:11 am.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Location: Dallas Texas...a few miles away from the Black Country
Ringside is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great, thank you very much for the information.

We should be ready to move easily within six months of returning, it's just a little tight to get everything done before Feb!

Thanks again for that.

Ringside.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just one additional comment. You will be asked at the POE to confirm your US mailing address. Your green card will be sent there in your absence since you are returning to the UK to tidy up your affairs.

List a relative's address and if you wish, you can instruct them to fedex/DHL your green card to you when it is received so that you can use it when you return or you can just return on the I-551 which will be stamped in your passport.

Originally Posted by Ringside
That's great, thank you very much for the information.

We should be ready to move easily within six months of returning, it's just a little tight to get everything done before Feb!

Thanks again for that.

Ringside.