Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Got my green card but lost foreign passport...

Got my green card but lost foreign passport...

Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

FJohnHH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got my green card but lost foreign passport...

Hi,
I still have my green card but I can't find my (German) passport anymore.
I am in the UK at the moment and planing to travel back to the US in January and in between (next week) I'm traveling to Germany.
Want to apply for a new passport when I'm in Germany, but what about my green card visa in my passport?
- How can I get a new one for my 'new' passport?

In addition to that I have one/two more question(s)...
In November next year (2009) I'll have my green card for 5 years but I've not lived in the states the whole 5 years. Can I still apply (and get) American citizenship as soon as I have my green card for 5 years? And can I keep my German citizenship as well and have two passports?

Can someone please help me?!

Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my green card but lost foreign passport...

Originally Posted by FJohnHH
I still have my green card but I can't find my (German) passport anymore.
Do you actually have the physical card or are you talking about a stamp in your passport? It's unclear from what you've said.

If you have the physical card, you don't need the "endorsed visa" that's in your passport.

If you don't have the physical card *and* your passport has the "endorsed visa", then you'll need to get proof that you even have a visa. Once you get a new passport, visit the US embassy.

I've not lived in the states the whole 5 years. Can I still apply (and get) American citizenship as soon as I have my green card for 5 years?
Having your green card for 5 years is *not* the only requirement. You must also meet the physical presence and continuous residency requirements. You can get the details at www.uscis.gov - check out the Guide to Naturalization.

And can I keep my German citizenship as well and have two passports?
Many countries allow dual citizenship, others do not. So, the answer depends on whether the German government allows dual citizenship. If it does, then yes... otherwise, no.

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for your fast reply, Ian!

Yes, I do have a physical card. So, that means I don't need the endorsed visa then? But do I need to let the US know that I have a new passport? Or can I just travel back to the states with my new passport and green card? ...which would be surprisingly easy and good for me!

I will check if the German government allows dual citizenship right now - I really hope so! And I will read the Guide to Naturalization.

Thank you so much for your help Ian
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I do have a physical card. So, that means I don't need the endorsed visa then? But do I need to let the US know that I have a new passport? Or can I just travel back to the states with my new passport and green card? ...which would be surprisingly easy and good for me!

I will check if the German government allows dual citizenship right now - I really hope so! And I will read the Guide to Naturalization.

I think they allow dual with other EU countries now ...
http://www.bva.bund.de/nn_388048/DE/...enderung2.html
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Ray!

I have just called the Bundesverwaltungsamt (the link you added) and they've told me, you can have dual but you have to apply for a 'Beibehaltungsurkunde' (perpetuation certificate) and you have to have this document with you, + it still has to be valid (2 years), when becoming an American citizen.

GREAT
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The USCIS does not care that you have a brand new passport. Your greencard is enough to get you into the US, depending on how long you have been outside of the US that is.

Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Or can I just travel back to the states with my new passport and green card? ...which would be surprisingly easy and good for me!
Yes.

Pretend in your mind that you have been a Permanent Resident for 15 years, and your passport expired instead of being lost.
You would renew your passport and travel to the US with a 'new' passport (with no visa in it) and your Green Card (which you hopefully would have also renewed at the appropriate time. )

This is the same.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little confused, if you have no passport how can you travel from the UK to Germany?
Also if as you say you have been out of the US for the full 5 years, do you have a re-entry permit? or have you been commuting back and forth?
Just wondering
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
I'm a little confused, if you have no passport how can you travel from the UK to Germany?
I presume its all the EU now ....
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Or can I just travel back to the states with my new passport and green card? ...which would be surprisingly easy and good for me!
Correct. The US doesn't care that you have a new foreign passport.

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I presume its all the EU now ....
No Germany is Schengen the UK is not and still checks passports on entry and exit.

Arriving into Germany would also require a passport when coming from a non Schengen country.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Schengen or not is irrelevant..still need a passport to get anywhere from the UK...even to go to France.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

In November next year (2009) I'll have my green card for 5 years but I've not lived in the states the whole 5 years. Can I still apply (and get) American citizenship as soon as I have my green card for 5 years?
I'm not sure they'd even let you in. A green card holder is NOT guaranteed entry into the US.

When was the last time you were physically in the US?

You may have green card 'abandonment' issues to contend with at the POE.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Schengen or not is irrelevant..still need a passport to get anywhere from the UK...even to go to France.
British citizens can, in principle, visit the Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Islands without a passport.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:02 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

The OP can use a german identity card to travel from the UK to Germany.

Originally Posted by JAJ
British citizens can, in principle, visit the Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man and Channel Islands without a passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.