Going to US on B1 & credit score?

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

sarp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going to US on B1 & credit score?

Hi all,

in the future I am considering to move to US. Soon I'll be going to US. I just wanted to know if I get a credit card in the US would that affect my credit score when I move to US on a work visa?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to US on B1 & credit score?

Originally Posted by sarp
I just wanted to know if I get a credit card in the US would that affect my credit score when I move to US on a work visa?
Most likely, yes - it would. Keep in mind that having a credit score isn't the same as having a good credit store. Good credit is based on a number of things including: credit to debt ratio, length of credit history (which is sometimes more important), and repayment history!

Since this isn't actually an immigration issue - I suggest you ask such questions in the general USA forum.

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

How are you proposing to get a credit card without a US address, SSN, job or any permanent residence?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
How are you proposing to get a credit card without a US address, SSN, job or any permanent residence?
What he said!

Without a SSN and US income at a minimum you stand no chance of getting a credit card. People who move to the US with a job, an SSN, and an address often find it difficult to get a credit card!

In any case, credit scores are indexed off an SSN, so even if hypothetically you found a bank willing to give you a credit card, it wouldn't do you any good with respect to building a credit score because the bank would have no way to report your credit activity to the credit scoring bureaux.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Oh my question is, whether they care if I am not authorised to work visa (or not being in the US) effects the credit score at all.

My plan is to get AMEX (I have a platinum one in my country) and then just pay for the annual fee and then never use it. I'll probably be in the US for 2 weeks, so it's long enough for them to ship the card.

What I am worried is, say I started working in the US 3-4 years later, then apply for a loan then someone says that I was not living in the US before, I was just visiting therefore it doesn't count (or something similar).
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 1:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

See my post above - "no SSN" = no way to report a credit score.

Secondarily, no activity = nothing to report. A credit score reflects usage, not just that you have a credit card.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

I did the online estimation and one of the question was how old is my oldest credit card. So I thought that increases the credit score.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:02 pm

I did the online estimation and one of the question was how old is my oldest credit card. So I thought that increases the credit score.
Without an SSN you don't have a credit score!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

1004ron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

in the future I am considering to move to US. Soon I'll be going to US. I just wanted to know if I get a credit card in the US would that affect my credit score when I move to US on a work visa?
Without credit history in the US, you're not likely to get offered a credit card, ....... you wont even be able to get a Macy's card.

My US Bank manager got me set up - I put $2K down and he created a secured Visa Credit card, and not long after that I got multiple pre-approved offers in the mail.

A dormant credit card account is not going to build a credit score - take a look on Credit Karma and you'll see that a few active credit accounts are needed.

Last edited by 1004ron; Jan 22nd 2016 at 2:36 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Let me spell this out for you.

1. Without an SSN, there is NO credit score to improve or otherwise!
2. Without a visa to enter the US and become a PR (permanent or temporary), no SSN.
3. No SSN, no credit card.

As Pulaski stated, people WITH the above have difficulty in qualifying for a CC. What exactly is it that makes you think YOU'RE special???
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me spell this out for you.

1. Without an SSN, there is NO credit score to improve or otherwise!
2. Without a visa to enter the US and become a PR (permanent or temporary), no SSN.
3. No SSN, no credit card.

As Pulaski stated, people WITH the above have difficulty in qualifying for a CC. What exactly is it that makes you think YOU'RE special???
Harsh...............but fair
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly is it that makes you think YOU'RE special???
He's Australian! Hands down, that's got to be a tad bit better than another Pommie wanker!

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sometimes you need to spell it out!

...and Ian, I guess you're right. Those convicts think they're better than us!!
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

OP is suggesting an American Express card via an existing account.

In 2006 I got a US American Express card based off of my UK account. I didn't have a job in the US, I didn't have an address in the US as I wasn't a LPR, and I didn't have a SSN. Guess I am more special than even I thought.

I still have my UK Amex card.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just look at the info they ask on an application...

You could get a pre loaded one at a supermarket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.