Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Going for my AOS/I-130 medical Thursday, what to expect?

Going for my AOS/I-130 medical Thursday, what to expect?

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 3:37 pm
Amber Sebold

Just wondered what they're going to do to me! Also I have a question about TB. I have
been following the thread up above, I had the BCG vacc. years ago in the UK, so I'll
come up +ve for TB right? Will they charge extra for the chest x-ray? I hope not
because we have budgeted enough for the medical, etc. Aaron said he had a TB
vaccination too, is it a different one here in the USA or something?

--
-Amber.

Marge: "Stay away from my son!" Sideshow Bob: "Oh I'll stay away alright... stay
away... FOREVER... *evil laugh*. Oh wait, that's no good. *shudder*"

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 4:34 pm
Andy Platt

Here's my experience - I can't give you any guarantees that this will be the same
with you. I thought I had had the BCG vaccination but had foolishly not checked with
my mum to be sure. When I went to the medical the nurse couldn't spot the tell-tell
scar so we decided to try the skin test which, sure enough, came back positive
because it turned out I had had a BCG. (By the way, the stuff we found on the
websites about the BCG vaccination said it shouldn't cause a positive skin reaction
many many years later but I think that's BS since everyone I've known who's had a
positive reaction had a BCG.)

Anyway, because I had a positive skin test the local county health clinic did the
X-ray for free which came back -ve. They still suggested I took a course of treatment
but since it can have side effects, takes a long time and would require me to sober
up first (ha, ha - I won't drink more than a pint at the moment in case Deana goes
into labor!) I decided that my risks of getting TB were so negligible, the slightly
increased risk I had because I had dormant TB was not worth considering. If I was
worried about such risks I wouldn't get in a car everyday!

Question is whether you can get a free X-ray (if your city/county/state provides
them) without having had a positive reaction to the skin test first. You might need
to check with the clinic first.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 5:56 pm
Grinch

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

My Chest X-ray cost $100... I tried to pimp out the Grinchess to the doctor but he
was not interested.

Grinch

Old Jul 3rd 2001, 6:22 pm
Amber Sebold

Grinch wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >

Damn. I suppose the best thing to do is phone the Dr. and ask how much it will be
since I can pretty much count on getting it done. Ta Grinch.

--
-Amber.

Marge: "Stay away from my son!" Sideshow Bob: "Oh I'll stay away alright... stay
away... FOREVER... *evil laugh*. Oh wait, that's no good. *shudder*"