Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

going from green card to US citizinship

going from green card to US citizinship

Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

scottishbeagle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default going from green card to US citizinship

hi guys,

this is my first post, so thanks for having me on this forum

basically, I married a US citizen in 2000, applied for and obtained a temporary visa, which became a green card in 2003. My current card doesn't expire until 2019, but I have been thinking for a while about becoming a dual citizen. I have 2 kids, love life here, and whilst I am very proud of my scottish roots (and family all still there!) I feel I will be in the US for a very long time.

I understand you don't apply per say for dual citizenship, its just the US recognises your UK citizenship, and doesn't require you to revoke it - is that correct? whenever I have seen citizenship ceremonies, they seem to ask you to revoke allegiance to any other nation, which I understand is the norm for most other countries.

how much does it cost to file the paperwork to apply for naturalization (that is what you file to become a citizen, right?)

I am still a bit up in the air over my decision, but trying to make the best informed decision for me and my family. I am reading through the links posted on this forum, so may find some answers there.

Thanks guys!
Old Jul 10th 2011, 9:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going from green card to US citizinship

Originally Posted by scottishbeagle
I understand you don't apply per say for dual citizenship, its just the US recognises your UK citizenship, and doesn't require you to revoke it - is that correct?
Correct.

how much does it cost to file the paperwork to apply for naturalization (that is what you file to become a citizen, right?)
Go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, and look at the N-400 page. The fee is listed there. Read the N-400 form and instructions. Also on the USCIS website, find the "USCIS Guide to Naturalization", that will have all the details you need to know about becoming a USC.

Rene
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishbeagle
... its just the US recognises your UK citizenship, and doesn't require you to revoke it - is that correct?
Once you become a USC, the US won't actually recognize that you're a UKC, but certainly does not require you to revoke it.

... they seem to ask you to revoke allegiance to any other nation, which I understand is the norm for most other countries.
True... but don't confuse allegiance with citizenship. The US doesn't have the authority to force you to relinquish your UK citizenship. Besides, the UK determines who is a UKC... not the US.

I am still a bit up in the air over my decision, but trying to make the best informed decision for me and my family.
Read our wiki: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship.

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2011, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some good info on dual citizenship: http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

- Eric S.