British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Going For Citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/going-citizenship-607808/)

241049 May 7th 2009 8:25 pm

Going For Citizenship

I am preparing to apply for citizenship early next year, does anyone have any advice they can give concerning the interview and test.. Is the test very difficult, and how many questions do they usually ask? As a Brit do I have to do the English test?

Thanks

Noorah101 May 7th 2009 8:48 pm

Re: Going For Citizenship

Originally Posted by 241049 (Post 7550786)
I am preparing to apply for citizenship early next year, does anyone have any advice they can give concerning the interview and test.. Is the test very difficult, and how many questions do they usually ask? As a Brit do I have to do the English test?

Thanks

Everything you need can be found in the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, found at www.uscis.gov., including the 100 Civics Test Questions and Answers.

At the interview, they will determine whether you indeed qualify for citizenship. They will ask 10 of those 100 Civics Questions, 6 of which you must get right in order to pass.

Yes, you will have to do an English test as well, even if it's your native language. You will have to read one sentence aloud, and will have to write a sentence the officer tells you. The officer decides ahead of time what those sentences are.

Rene

AlanR May 7th 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks

Take care - you have to take an American test: even though they call it an English test. It's so simple. However, they may ask you to write: The colors in our flag are red, white and blue". And by 'our' they mean the USA, of course. So spell color correctly for this side of the pond!
They will select 10 questions from a list (do a Google search) and you need to get only 6 right. Unless you have any major crimes or file too early then you'll not have a problem.
Good luck!

Bill_S May 7th 2009 11:01 pm

Thanks

Hello, 241049. Welcome to BE. May we call you 241?
Most of the questions are not difficult. There are a few dates to be memorized, as well as a few specific details about the constitution, but the material is easy to review. You'll have to do the English "test", which is nothing more than reading and writing two VERY SIMPLE sentences. Very simple as in "He drives a blue car" for example.

ian-mstm May 7th 2009 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by AlanR (Post 7551251)
The colors in our flag are red, white and blue".

In the UK, "our" colours are also "red, white, and blue". :)

Ian

meauxna May 7th 2009 11:32 pm

Since the OP has been banned, thread is closed.

Alan, I'm surprised and a little disappointed. The language in America is still called English.
The test has also been changed; you may want to check your assumptions about the test questions.