Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Is this going to cause issues for the I-751

Is this going to cause issues for the I-751

Old May 8th 2007, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Poppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nice
Default Is this going to cause issues for the I-751

I filed jointly with my wife round two months ago, we entered our marriage in good faith and have a perfectly normal marriage. However, since submitting the I-751, we are currently living in serparate residences due to a problem with our jobs. In a nutshell, we were required to locate to a different city due to my wife's position, and I have been granted permission by my own company to move to a 'virtual office' and work from home to be with her. Sadly, this isn't going to kick in until November.

So as of now, my wife and I are in two different cities (only an hour drive though!) with two sets of bills, etc.

Of course we still have plenty of evidence to show a bona fide marriage, photos and videos from vacations we've taken together, joint tax return for April '07, joint bank account, I'm on her car insurance as a dormant driver (I've since purchased a second vehicle and only insured myself), and all the other evidence we submitted with the I-751 - bills, retirement plan, cell phone family plan, joint health insurance, etc etc.

I enclosed a letter with my I-751 explaining the situation. I'm assuming that they'll want to call us in for an interview to verify all of this.

My question is, is it likely that we'll be interviewed and given some horrible interrogation? Is it really as black and white as "you don't live together, therefore it's a false marriage"? Because if so, I don't think that's fair because it was a matter of financial and career circumstances. We hopefully have sufficient documentation to prove that we are a couple. I would like your opinions on this case. Thank you!
Old May 8th 2007, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this going to cause issues for the I-751

It might have been a good idea to send in letters from both your employers stating the transfer and future "transfer" for you. I would think you will be fine though, if you have a real marriage there is usually more than enough evidence to support it.
Old May 8th 2007, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppel
My question is, is it likely that we'll be interviewed and given some horrible interrogation?
Is it likely? No. I think you're worrying over nothing, though. It is not uncommon for people to live in two different places because of their jobs... in fact, it happens all the time.

Ian
Old May 8th 2007, 7:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppel
I filed jointly with my wife round two months ago, we entered our marriage in good faith and have a perfectly normal marriage. However, since submitting the I-751, we are currently living in serparate residences due to a problem with our jobs. In a nutshell, we were required to locate to a different city due to my wife's position, and I have been granted permission by my own company to move to a 'virtual office' and work from home to be with her. Sadly, this isn't going to kick in until November.

So as of now, my wife and I are in two different cities (only an hour drive though!) with two sets of bills, etc.

Of course we still have plenty of evidence to show a bona fide marriage, photos and videos from vacations we've taken together, joint tax return for April '07, joint bank account, I'm on her car insurance as a dormant driver (I've since purchased a second vehicle and only insured myself), and all the other evidence we submitted with the I-751 - bills, retirement plan, cell phone family plan, joint health insurance, etc etc.

I enclosed a letter with my I-751 explaining the situation. I'm assuming that they'll want to call us in for an interview to verify all of this.

My question is, is it likely that we'll be interviewed and given some horrible interrogation? Is it really as black and white as "you don't live together, therefore it's a false marriage"? Because if so, I don't think that's fair because it was a matter of financial and career circumstances. We hopefully have sufficient documentation to prove that we are a couple. I would like your opinions on this case. Thank you!
USCIS usually understands some couples might need to be separate due to work circumstances. I doubt it will affect your I-751.

Rene
Old May 16th 2007, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Poppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nicePoppel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
USCIS usually understands some couples might need to be separate due to work circumstances. I doubt it will affect your I-751.

Rene
Thank you all for your generous help.
Old May 17th 2007, 1:03 pm
TKO
Sweatin' it up in Bama

TKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really niceTKO is just really nice

Couple of points...

1) It might be cheaper having your wife on your car insurance anyway, it often is here! (UK).

2) In my opinion, and nothing more, if I was interviewing you, I may be suspicious and question the living apart option based on the fact your two cities are only 1 hour apart - surely the extra hour commute for one of you or a residence in between and a 30 minute (i'm being basic with the numbers here, not assuming you live at your place of employment) commute for both of you would be preferrable to living apart for 6 months.

Just playing Devil's Advocate!